Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd hand Patrol price differences

Thanks
    Thanked 7,448 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Levels of 'fit out' aside (DX, ST etc) a diesel GU is a GU regardless of whether it has a 2.8, 3.0 or 4.2 fitted. All is the same except for the motor. The reason that the TD42's command a premium price is because they are widely considered to be the best, strongest & longest lasting motor. Their prices would most likely be less than they are if they were still being built, but a new TD42 engined Patrol has not been available since 2006.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (2nd September 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyjazzy View Post
    -not really set on either, it will depend on whats around for my budget, planning on spending anywhere from 15 to 25k. What were the issues with early 3l engines, and what year models?
    The ZD30 was released in 2000, this iteration is called the DI (for Direct Injection). Some of these engines went bang at around 100,000km, largely due to overfueling/overboosting. You can help avoid this by fitting boost and EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) gauges, to monitor boost levels and respond accordingly before any damage is done. The issue appears to have been largely confined to 2000-2003 models, although some later motors have also had problems. But any engine can have problems, and we don't know the service history or treatment in most cases. DIs can be easily identified by the silvcer cover around the top-mounted intercooler.

In 2007 the ZD30 got Common Rail fuel injection and this model - the CRD - is a far better engine, with a much better reliability track record so far. CRDs can be easily identified by the black cover around the top-mounted intercooler.

The TD42 can be found in naturally aspirated or turbo form in both GQ and GU Patrols, but was phased out in 2006 as modifying it to meet incoming pollution regulations was deemed to be too expensive. It is basically a truck engine, that's why it is so strong and reliable.

$25k will get you an early GU with a TD42T if you shop around. You can also get a CRD for that sort of money. IMO an auto CRD Patrol is the best all-round combination, and you can modify the motor with a bigger exhaust and chip (and a larger intercooler if you want to spend) to spice up the performance a bit.
    1995 GQ TD42 NA

Thanks
    Thanked 7,448 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps those with the relevant experience might comment on the 'forte' of the different motors in use. Eg. Towing, low speed 'gnarly' 4wd'ing, off road hill climbing, mud, sand etc. I know they'll all do all of those things, but comments about ease/revs etc may assist potential new Patrollers?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As pretty much noted TD42,s are higher in price and depending on the age some insurers market value is way lower than what you pay. Mine is 99 GU and cost me 19k and AMMI notes 8k market value. My 2003 GU 3ltr (for sale) has a market insurance value of 16k and I am struggling to get 13k for it. 3lts had piston issue fixed by the 03 model but there is the head issues you will read about them up to 04 if I am correct?

They are a good little engine overall, just look for ones with nads fitted. Good luck
    Seemed like a good idea at the time

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOf View Post
    As pretty much noted TD42,s are higher in price and depending on the age some insurers market value is way lower than what you pay. Mine is 99 GU and cost me 19k and AMMI notes 8k market value.
    wow, 8k??? i paid 5 for my high k's TB42 GQ and the insurers market value is 9!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hence I am looking for a better insurer.
    Seemed like a good idea at the time

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SonOf For This Useful Post:

taslucas (4th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Shannons. You can do a quote on their web page before going a head with the policy. Tell them that you are a 4wd enthusiast, you get on to this web site, read 4x4 mags etc etc, if they happen to ask. I had to say I`m right in to it years a go for a motor cycle just to get insurance. Apparently they do an agreed value.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bush Ranger For This Useful Post:

SonOf (7th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine insured with Shannon's and I got a first buy back option and its insured for 48K :-) I have spent WAY more than that on it! But Its better than the 28K Suncrap AKA suncorp offed!!

If you can find a 4.2 for a price your happy to pay you will not be disappointed... The ZD30s are a good motor wile they are running!! But I dont like having to wonder every time I go out if this is the last time it will be still running LOL

Lewy
    GU ST-L 4.2 turbo diesel Because reliability counts!!!!!
    Front Elocker and a Heep more cool stuff :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewy For This Useful Post:

SonOf (7th September 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thoughts on costs of Patrols around ..... I have recently upgraded from 97 GQ ST 2.8td with 410,000km (Sold for $8k) and bought a 06 GU ST 3.0td with 135,000km (paid $28k).
    Dont know about other states, but here in SA there isn't much decent available for good money. We opted for lower mileage and good condition with full Nissan service history, but paid the premium for that. Haven't seen any 4.2's in my searching
    Since buying our newer Patrol, we have 2 friends who have also bought Patrols - and they love them too! Never heard anyone be disappointed
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
    I have mine insured with Shannon's and I got a first buy back option and its insured for 48K :-) I have spent WAY more than that on it! But Its better than the 28K Suncrap AKA suncorp offed!!

If you can find a 4.2 for a price your happy to pay you will not be disappointed... The ZD30s are a good motor wile they are running!! But I dont like having to wonder every time I go out if this is the last time it will be still running LOL

Lewy
    I had to laugh at that. Be a recovery that you wouldn`t want to do. Mind you, I own a 2001 GU and never really thought about it and I have had to replace the MAF sensor, which seems to be the in thing to do with GUs from time to time and the EGR Stepper Motor was on the way out and needed to be replaced. Wondering if I should start worrying now on that recovery, lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast