Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TB42 running on 4 cylinders?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of an update.. Ran 12v straight from the battery to the coil and bypassed the resistor and then checked all the leads/plugs were firing. Found that while on 12v cyl 2 was firing, however when removing the lead the change in engine rpm isnt quite as noticeable as 3/4/5/6. It ONLY did this on petrol. So I'm just taking a guess here but, leaking intake manifold somewhere around 1+2? Because gas is more pressurized than petrol it would be able to leak out easier, meaning that the cyls would still be getting fuel, just no where near as much?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 by 4 View Post
    When I bought the car it was running about 25 advance which amazed me.. so I have backed it off to 14 at the moment but I will double check it tomorrow. It didn't seem to make a lot of difference either.
    25 degrees advanced would be for the gas. Gas needs it more advanced than petrol. Putting back to 14 degrees may have a negative effect when running on gas.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    25 degrees advanced would be for the gas. Gas needs it more advanced than petrol. Putting back to 14 degrees may have a negative effect when running on gas.
    He said it was tuned more so for gas but even on 25 advance it ran not too bad on petrol.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He said it was tuned more so for gas but even on 25 advance it ran not too bad on petrol.
    Yes but putting it back to 14 advanced probably run that well on gas.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of an update.. Ran 12v straight from the battery to the coil and bypassed the resistor and then checked all the leads/plugs were firing. Found that while on 12v cyl 2 was firing, however when removing the lead the change in engine rpm isnt quite as noticeable as 3/4/5/6. It ONLY did this on petrol. So I'm just taking a guess here but, leaking intake manifold somewhere around 1+2? Because gas is more pressurized than petrol it would be able to leak out easier, meaning that the cyls would still be getting fuel, just no where near as much?
    Replace the intake gasket, use some spray on sealant just to be sure. Might be a pain for a few hours(by doing it I mean) but then it might solve your issue and if not, it's one thing eliminated. Gasket replacement is a cheap fix if you do it yourself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

4 by 4 (5th September 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksy View Post
    Replace the intake gasket, use some spray on sealant just to be sure. Might be a pain for a few hours(by doing it I mean) but then it might solve your issue and if not, it's one thing eliminated. Gasket replacement is a cheap fix if you do it yourself.
    I'll look at doing that probably this weekend. Is there a way to leak test the manifold while it is off?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really not needed. Just hang the manifold to the side rather than removing if from the car. Its guicker.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found my problem tonight! Was a leaking intake manifold gasket around cyl 1 and the thermostat housing, but it was only leaking on the underside which took alot of messing around to find (even after 3 attempts to find vac leaks in the previous days) Gasket was pretty well rooted and was crumbling away, which is strange because it looked very old but the head was replaced in 2010, I would have thought they would have done the intake at the same time but oh well. Decided to take entire manifold off which was a PITA but since I knew it wasnt going to be finished tonight I'd rather have it off and block off the intake holes to the motor than leave a manifold dangling in the engine bay.

Thanks for the help everyone especially Parksy

Quick question also, should I fork out the 60 or so dollars for a new gasket or would gasket maker be better/just as good? Im happy to pay the money for a gasket if its the better option
    Last edited by 4 by 4; 5th September 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gasket with some ,hylomer seleant on it.
    Hylomer will help to prolong the gaskets life.
    Also forms a better seal at the same time.
    Not cheap $20+ but small can goes a fair way.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy days, glad you've found the problem. If you still have the manifold off now is a good time to check you don't have a leaking oil cooler/blanking plate (which ever is fitted). Doesn't use a gasket, just silicone, but a pain in the backside to change if the manifold is fitted. Located between the starter motor and the intake on the block.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

4 by 4 (6th September 2013), Robo (5th September 2013)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast