Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting issues 3.0l CRD

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the car back from Nissan - NATS sorted.

The car is still slow to start, but the battery seems fine, I am still going to get it load tested (now that i can drive).

Nissan checked the plugs and checked for codes but all was good.

They suggested fuel pressure being the issue, and i agree I am noticing that when the car sits the fuel is running back into the tank, so much so that it is not possible to prime manually.

But I wonder if this is a result of air that is in the system from when i changed the filter? Question - if you change the filter (and there was air in there) and the car runs fine, would any air get worked out the system or would it stay there?

If so how do i get rid of the air in the system? PLEASE help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeeeez Greg,
    you're really having fun, aren't you? I've had about 25 years out of a GQ TD4.2 and GU 3.0 CRD and never had fuel leak back out of the filter. That included when the filter was disconnected, which means the only air in the system was in the drained filter.
    The GQ needed about 70 plus pumps to fill/remove air but the GU needs only a relative few. If your fuel system was intact your problem as described just couldn't happen I reckon. Therefore you must have a faulty join or a split pipe/tube in the line.
    The GU has a pig of a design/placement for the filter (compared to the GQ) but I think your'e going to have to trace the line from the tank right through to the filter then each of the in/out lines on top of the filter to their end looking for the out of fuel and the in of air. I'd imagine that if there was a major fuel supply problem you'd simply starve at operating revs..
    Hope I' not talking crap.
    Good luck with the ongoing saga mate
    Col.
    p.s. if nothing else, you're keeping thousands entertained.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Col - it is comical.

I have wanted this car for 20 years - i have never been so in love with a car as the patrol. It was literally a dream come true to have a patrol parked in my drive way, but i have had problem after problem. i had a Nissan D22 the same age and milage - the car never missed a beat, i only opened the bonnet to put water in wipers. I search for my patrol for 6 months before i bought "the right one", no modifications, little offroad use, low millage. In 4 months the list goes as, front shock gone, steering damper gone, bluetooth needed a new mic, two arials broken or stolen, leaking rear check valve, broken exhaust mount, starting issue (ongoing), NATS broken (by me), tyres balanced twice, Spot lights stopped working (new thread to follow), rear lights had to be rewired, coolant leak, oil leak, body mount gone, problems with aftermarket alarm, had to re wire other doddy wiring x 2 (one active thread). - it think thats it - not sure i did get the "right one"... - i still think it's a beast, plus my wife likes it.

Back to the issue at hand....

Today and last night the car has started holding fuel pressure over long periods. So when I return to the car the primer is firm.

But she is still slow to start, it's starting everytime and taking the same amount of time to start each time - 4 to 6 seconds
    When i start it i can feel when it is going to start, i still think pressure is the issue, it feels exactly like it's turning turning turning gets some fuel kicks a bit harder gets fuel pressure and then starts.

I will monitor it over this weekend and ensure my hoses are not the problem (as per your advice Col), then think it's time to go to nissan unless anyone has anything else to suggest i try?.... Can anyone recommend a mechanic on the northern beaches of Sydney?
    Last edited by Gregsway; 9th August 2013 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One place to look is on top of chassis near rear wheel , I believe its a very tight fit in this area, but fuel line is cheap
    a friend just brought a 2008 with same symptoms ended up being fuel lines, after spending $$$$$ at a shop for no result.
    What is history of you patrol is it ex mines or Telstra etc.
    Have you been able to find and clean up a few earth points and battery terminals, sometimes battery posts need some twisting with
    a scotch brite or similar plus inside of connector, leave nothing to chance, even if you run a new earth strap
    Last edited by threedogs; 9th August 2013 at 02:24 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg,
    keep plugging mate.
    Reckon 3D's question re the history of the troll may have merit. You've had too many probs really for the usual wagon.
    Anyway, if you get it sorted, you'll have a keeper.
    Regards,Col

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrol's can normally cop a fair bit of abuse compared to a normal sedan, and still come up trumps.

Get these little teething bits and pieces fixed up, and it should be all good.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Guys - it's been privately owned since new as far as i am aware.

Checked everywhere as per your advice, done all earth checks.

I found a tiny crack on my primer bulb, no fuel comes out of it nor does air as far as i can tell (i put soap water and pumped to see if it bubbled but it didn't) but this might be the problem. - my only hesitation to think it is this, is that sometimes the fuel can run back in minutes, super quickly. From hard to soft in a minute, but other times over hours.
    I am going to try replacing lines with clear tube so i can see what is going on.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of any possible air in the lines that may be there from when i changed the filter - I want to be sure this isn't my problem.
    I have done 500km's since the fuel filter change.
    Last edited by Gregsway; 12th August 2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: more info

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nissan want $135 for a new primer bulb even the sales guy said go somewhere else - crazy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be able to pick one up cheap enough from a wrecker near you.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just bought a near identical one for $13 from a boat shop - I will fit it and see how i go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast