OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charging An Auxiliary Battery..?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charging An Auxiliary Battery..?

Gday all,

Anyone please..
    Can I charge my auxiliary battery (Optima Y. Top) with an external ac-dc charger (Bosch C7) while the battery is still connected to the in-vehicle battery charger (Redarc BCDC1225)..? She is not my daily and since my Safari is on a 24v system, all 12v accessories including a dvd player and the alarm system are running out from the aux battery. I have the Bosch charger so was thinking to make use of it while the Safari parked in the garage for a week or sometimes longer. I've asked Redarc but just couldn't wait till they reply my email.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Might be better off sending Yendor a PM.
    This is his Thang. lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Ade (14th July 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,438 Times in 3,009 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wating for Redarc's reply would be worthwhile, their aftersales tech advice is very good.

My guess is that to do as you suggest will have no impact on the BCDC1225, but you should ensure that none of the appliances running off your aux battery will be harmed by charging voltages (unlikely).
    Alternatively at the current low prices a 60w solar panel connected to your aux battery via the BCDC1225 would be a cheap fit & forget solution.

However, if during your weekly drive, you drive for a few hours returning home your aux battery will be getting a reasonable charge on the way home, & a smaller panel could be used to ensure it is topped up if you arrive home without it being fully charged. With AGM batteries like the yellow top Optima's their self discharge is very low. Once fully charged they can happily be left for 3 months at a time.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Ade (14th July 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,872 Times in 8,620 Posts
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wait for a reply from Redarc or if someone else can give solid answer but with my Piranha management system I just hook up the charger to the main cranking battery and the system works fine and charges the aux battery once cranking is full as normal operation running with the alternator/transfer over, etc.

Just hang 5 to be sure though mate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Ade (14th July 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I just hook up the charger to the main cranking battery and the system works fine and charges the aux battery once cranking is full
    Different set up Andy. Ade's crank batteries are 24v & his aux 12v so he cant just put the 12v charger onto the crankers. Also the redarc is a dc to dc charger (with solar capacity), not a voltage sensitive relay system like it sounds your Pirahna is.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

AB (14th July 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Wating for Redarc's reply would be worthwhile, their aftersales tech advice is very good.

My guess is that to do as you suggest will have no impact on the BCDC1225, but you should ensure that none of the appliances running off your aux battery will be harmed by charging voltages (unlikely).
    Alternatively at the current low prices a 60w solar panel connected to your aux battery via the BCDC1225 would be a cheap fit & forget solution.

However, if during your weekly drive, you drive for a few hours returning home your aux battery will be getting a reasonable charge on the way home, & a smaller panel could be used to ensure it is topped up if you arrive home without it being fully charged. With AGM batteries like the yellow top Optima's their self discharge is very low. Once fully charged they can happily be left for 3 months at a time.

Cuppa
    Thanks heap Cuppa.

My concern is on the BCDC. I used to charge the 24v main batteries with the external charger when I didnt have the BCDC and the Optima and there has been no drama to all 12v gadgets that was running via couple of reducers at that time. Just to be cautious and hoping to see years of life from them (more than couple of years now), I had both main batteries charged at least once a month with the Bosch charger as the stereo, alarm system and both reducers were using some amount of power from them continuously even after the engine is switched off. Now thinking of doing the same thing to the Optima but getting a solar panel would be the best option I guess..fit & forget solution, cant agree more on that.

If I wanted to run my 60L fridge all the time in the trol, what size of solar panel should I use? Lol..seriously, is it even possible to do this? Let say for a week without starting the engine and parked under a porch and the Optima is YT S5.5. Kinda stupid but Im just curious..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Wait for a reply from Redarc or if someone else can give solid answer but with my Piranha management system I just hook up the charger to the main cranking battery and the system works fine and charges the aux battery once cranking is full as normal operation running with the alternator/transfer over, etc.

Just hang 5 to be sure though mate.
    24v is a beaut for my winching, stater motor sounds cool too but could be a bit pain on some other things..their bulbs are freakin hot too..lol. By the, you haven't reply my pm mate.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It will be fine. I would just wait for the Redarc to turn off before connecting the C7 to the auxiliary 12 volt battery.

The C7 is also a 24 volt charger isn't it?. If so you can connect the C7 to charge your 24 volt batteries and the Redarc will charge the 12 volt auxiliary battery.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Ade (14th July 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    It will be fine. I would just wait for the Redarc to turn off before connecting the C7 to the auxiliary 12 volt battery.

The C7 is also a 24 volt charger isn't it?. If so you can connect the C7 to charge your 24 volt batteries and the Redarc will charge the 12 volt auxiliary battery.
    Yeap..its got 24v capacity too. Now that one I'd never thought of..will give it a try.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your battery charger has a 24v charging capability it would do no harm to connect it to your crank batteries, which would then get charged themselves, plus would charge your aux battery viar the BCDC1225 too. if you were charging your two crank batteries separately @12v forget that.

If you want to run a 60l fridge for a week at a time on solar you are talking about something quite different to just ensuring you keep your batteries fully charged & in good condition. Essentially you you would need sufficient solar input to replenish the night time battery usage AND run the fridge on a daily basis. The fridge will probably draw around up to around 40 to 60 amp hours per day in hot weather depending on the fridge temp setting. (Freezer settings potentially more). If we look at the higher usage level (sensible) of 60aH per day this is how much your solar would need to generate. I don't know your part of the word but will guess you might average 6 'sun hours' per day. 200w solar would give you this with a small amount of leeway.
    However your Optima battery would be marginal in such a setup. It's capacity is 75aH, & if you want it to have a long life you won't use it to below around 50% capacity, giving you an available 35aH to 40aH to run the fridge overnight. This is ok as long as you don't have any cloudy days which prevent your battery being charged fully during the day. However as the weather cannot always be relied upon, extra battery capacity would give you a 'buffer'. An alternative to more battery capacity would be more solar input, most crap weather days still allow some solar input, & an extra panel increases this.
    If it were me I'd try the 200w solar & your existing battery & monitor it to see how it goes. You may find it is sufficient to get you a week at a time with a slight decreasing of battery charge each day, topped up by a drive once a week. If it isn't wack on another panel. (The BCDC1225 will handle up to around 400w of panels).

Cuppa

EDIT: I see Yendor was simulposting with me.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 14th July 2013 at 08:55 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Ade (14th July 2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast