Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing dilemma

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hardest part for a Novice in towing a Trailer is reversing and allowing enough clearance when Parking.
    As Roofy says get him to Practice before leaving

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does he realise he isn't Brocky as soon as that trailer is attached? If he realises he needs more caution and attention, you're in luck. A few hints on the Uhf while travelling would work. Travel first to 'force' a slower speeds at necessary spots.

It he's already thinks it will be the same as without the trailer, you could have troubles.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know its not hard but he is on his green p's. Guess wat im really asking is if he does stuff up or sumfin does go wrong do i want the camper or bijes on the back of him.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mistakes happen As i remember years ago I jumped in my Mates Range Rover to whip down the General store to grab some ice,
    upon returning did a big arch to reverse in spot I'd left, Now hindsight is a wonderful gift to have and I have it in bucket loads.
    Not for one minute did I give thought to the Tinnie trailer on the back, so selecting reverse all I did was Jack knife everything.
    I forgot trailer was on the back, CLASSIC ROOKIE MISTAKE that was circa 1980, funny though never done it since. lol

Reason for towing with longer draw bar is that they are more stable at speed and easier to reverse
    .He/you wont get the wobbles up with the longer draw bar, weights not the issue IMO
    Last edited by threedogs; 2nd May 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Noone has ever towed a trailer until the first time they do... gotta start somewhere
    Now, the camper trailer is the more stable of the two HOWEVER as you mention it is heavy and unbraked therefore I would do as follows;
    You tow the Camper (a heavy unbraked camper on a SWB is asking for trouble in a panic stop)
    You lead the trip
    He tows the bikes
    You therefore control the speed you cruise at and can also radio him if he is too close
    If something happens he should be able to easily outbrake you anyway
    Get as much practice in with him as you can so he can develop the art of reversing a trailer
    Use the unladen bike trailer... if you can reverse a short draw bar then you can reverse anything
    Try and get him to master using the mirrors for reverse but in the short term if he has to look over the shoulder no biggee with the bikes as he can still see.

You would already know a lot of the above... just laying it out for others new to towing who may see this thread
    Last edited by the evil twin; 2nd May 2013 at 04:34 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,778 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKWDW View Post
    I know its not hard but he is on his green p's.
    Usually the young ones on P's are super confident, if he's a bit apprehensive I'd say that's a good thing. As said take him for a couple of laps of the block, plenty of encouragement and it will be fine.
    Enjoy the trip.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

BLKWDW (3rd May 2013), threedogs (2nd May 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh well we are going riding this weekend so miight get him to drive whilst im in tge car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12