Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Undercover cops

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I know what your saying I just don't like it that speed gets picked on so much. It's not the biggest cause of accidents it's just the easiest to police, because it's the easiest to measure. If you could make a device to point at a car and measure how much of an idiot the driver was (for example, about to drive on the wrong side of the road or stop to take a pic) then they'd use that and no doubt save a heap more lives.

FanTapstic!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (15th April 2013), lorrieandjas (15th April 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Yeah I know what your saying I just don't like it that speed gets picked on so much. It's not the biggest cause of accidents it's just the easiest to police, because it's the easiest to measure. If you could make a device to point at a car and measure how much of an idiot the driver was (for example, about to drive on the wrong side of the road or stop to take a pic) then they'd use that and no doubt save a heap more lives.

FanTapstic!
    Hey mate - I hear you. I saw a prang this morning where an idiot talking on a mobile casually as you please indicated and changed lanes - into the car beside him. You couldn't have missed it - literally the car's were side-by-side when he merged. Scary stuff out there!

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often they set up at the base or crest of a hill. Why, because its a cash cow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

The BigFella (15th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive me for not understanding but none of those reasons are soley speed related? How is having a camouflaged speed camera going to save you from hitting someone thats parked in the middle of the road??
    So if I drive on the wrong side of the road but keep under the speed limit I'll be safe??
    No, not at all.

It's not just speed related, this area is notorious for accidents and has a huge number of international tourists on the road. They fly into Melbourne and try to do the GOR return in one day, amazing how many drive off on the wrong side of the road. It's also a well know bikers route and it's not possible for the police to initiate a pursuit safely, it has an 80KPH speed limit and nearly double lines all the way. I'm not having a go at bikers (I used to ride myself), every trip you get passed by bikes or cars.
    Police are using static speed cameras, cameras on bends, helicopters and camouflaged police who radio ahead. Even with all this it doesn't seem to be helping.
    Two years ago I (and lots of other cars) were overtaken by a biker on double lines, 500 meters down the road his bike was stuck under a Subaru and he was up against the rock face 50 meters further down the road. He had just pulled out to overtake another car on double lines on a bend, he was 40 and left a wife and two young children without a husband or father. Also how traumatic for the people in the car involved, they were a completely innocent victims as well.
    Due to the narrow road and guard rail we were stuck on the road for nearly four hours within view of his body until it was removed. Less than 3mths later we came upon another fatality, again a biker passing a car on double line straight into the path of a Toyota towing a large van. This one we were able to drive around.

My family has been personally touched by the road toll, my young cousin was killed by a drunk speeding driver who drove across a a divided road. She left a 6 year old daughter without a mother.

I'm all in favor of anything that will make the roads safer for me, my family and others.
    Cheers
    Jack

2024 Isuzu MUX
    Formerly 2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

lorrieandjas (16th April 2013), MudRunnerTD (15th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,433 Times in 6,489 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And they tell us that they just want people to slow down. Why be so sneaky??

FanTapstic!
    Simple. If you see them you will slow down and then once gone, you speed up again. If you don't see them, mayby you think I should slow down just in case theres a plain wrapper lurking around....
    Personally I'm all for it. Don't speed, you don't get a ticket, and you have nothing to worry about.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Brendan56 (15th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Simple. If you see them you will slow down and then once gone, you speed up again. If you don't see them, mayby you think I should slow down just in case theres a plain wrapper lurking around....
    Personally I'm all for it. Don't speed, you don't get a ticket, and you have nothing to worry about.
    Yeah I know how it works. My point is that in general day to day driving speeding isn't the main cause of accidents, it's just the easiest to police.
    I live in the northwest coast of Tassie, it has the highest death rate per capita of under 25 yo males in motor vehicle accidents. And yes basically all of those deaths are speed and alcohol related (they will drink and speed no matter what the rules are). I've lost a few mates too......
    There is a documentary that aired on the ABC a year or so ago called "drive". It's about "autocide" in the nw of tas. You can find it online. It's worth a look.

And by coincidence I'm typing this on my phone sitting outside the vegie shop straight across the road from where an old man was hit and killed on his bicycle. It's only a 70 zone, the driver was doing less than 60, came around the corner and went into the bike lane and killed him.........
    When they make a laser pointer to catch useless drivers then we'll see a dramatic drop in the road toll.

FanTapstic!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,580 Times in 6,634 Posts
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am an Ex Biker and breathed the Great Ocean Road Fast for many years. when it was 100 all the way and no double lines. Rode teh bike on 1 point for years and have been very very lucky not to ever loose my license. I have seen 280k/ph on the road and over 265 twoup and done the Vic high country at double the speed limit and double the sign corner speed limit a number of times.

Then i had kids......

I am OK with the Police driving anything they like to hide in Plain Sight and catch whoever they can. I now drive via Cruise Control everywhere, use a Bluetooth hands free and am safe and courteous..

How many times have You been driving down the road and seen some Bloody Idiot doing something Bloody Dumb??? Many Times and that bloke could not give a Rats. Now imagine if you were a Copper sitting in your car when that happened? bang on! you'd ping him in a Blink and be thankful that you had that option available..

How many times have you thought? "Bloody Hell look at this dick head! Wheres a Copper when you need one?" Well if there was a Marked car running in your lane that bloke would save is ignorance and arrogance for another day, could be when your wife is driving the kids to school.

Police should be driving all sorts of older stuff. 10 years old and Invisible.

Bring it on.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

lorrieandjas (16th April 2013), mudski (15th April 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a very valid point, as much as they are sneeky, there are a lot of idiots out there that put people at very serious risk of being hurt, without them our roads would be mayhem.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I get that you are in the wrong if you get caught, still hurst. But shouldnt it be prevetion not punishment?? Wouldnt it be better to have more marked cars driving around, preventing more people from doing stupid things, and catching those idiots that still do it, then to be hiding behind a bush?
    Personally i would prefer to prevent someone from punching me in the neck then to punish them for doing it.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lhurley For This Useful Post:

taslucas (15th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,538 Times in 6,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Advertised point to point cameras................

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast