User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2.8/3.0 Diesel Chips!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I am installing a EGT soon to monitor just that. This chip does deliver more fuel and I understand that can lead to increased temperatures. I use the chip conservatively for that reason. Looking at the normal temp. gauge I haven't noticed any difference. Once I get the EGT in I wil be taking notice of the temps with it on and off to get an idea. I have the chip wound right back until I am able to see what is going on with the temps. Even wound back it makes a difference to the car though so I suggest cranking it up would provide more power but to what detriment I am not sure. I have also noticed an increase in idle of about 50 rpm when the chip is on. I don't notice any difference in the boost readings be it on or off (still max out about 12 either way).

This is my first diesel and from what I hear overheating them is a bad thing. That's why I am just taking it easy and installing the EGT.

There are plenty of other chips out there as you would know and they vary greatly in cost. Some claim to do more than the DONATOR or at least differently. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Can't help with the extractors - no idea.

When I get the EGT on (weeks not days) I will start monitoring and post again. Cheers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gbab01 For This Useful Post:

krbrooking (24th May 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. I though i should give a bit of feedback on the donator chips. I have had one of these chips installed for about 4 months now and since have installed an EGT gauge, boost controller and boost gauge. First thing i will say is WOW what an improvement. The only down side so far is that she blows a bit more smoke on take off now (the healthy black stuff!). EGT temperatures have only gone up slightly since installing the chip, on long journeys fully loaded up hills it will get to around 420 degrees (550 - 600 is the danger area) then quickly drop away afterwards with no real increase in fuel efficiency 14L/100km fully loaded with rooftop camper, 33" rubber etc. Overtaking is now actually possible, this is THE BEST value for money mod i have done to my 2.8 and i have done the 3"zaust, egr block, cleaned the MAF etc. Thouroughly recommended. I few things i would say before i go....

RECOMMENDATIONS:
    1.) Install your guages before your chip so you can monitor the temp.
    2.) extend your wires and install the chip inside your vehicle to keep it out of the dust etc(i attached mine under the dash)
    3.) Install an inline switch and run it to the cab so you can turn it on and off, no need to spend $$ for the remote control a $3 switch from ebay will do. ( i installed mine on the dash near my spotties.)
    4.) make sure your vehicle is properly warmed up before tuning your chip, e.g. drive a fir distance or do some beach work, then turn on the chip and adjust till runining smoothly.
    5.) Dont use the scotchlocks. they are shit. solider and insulate the wires properly and take your time (preferable with somebody who has experience).

Have fun and enjoy that extra bit of cheap power!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiegs For This Useful Post:

krbrooking (24th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Wiegs, are those EGT temps measured post turbo and if they are is that the figure that you are seeing on your EGT gauge or are you adding (say 200 degrees) to allow for the cooling through the turbo? I am just keeping an eye on mine at the moment and have only noticed a minor increase when I use the chip as well. Cheers.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gbab01, The EGT temps i have stated are post turbo (I have my probe installed in the dump pipe). I have done a bit or research on other forums and most 2.8 owners are getting between 250-450 without chips installed on road depending on the type of driving they are doing. Seems to me that the chip doesn't really effect EGT temps much at all which actually makes sense if you read what the "Tuning chip" actually does: The VPM20 Add-on tuning unit works by modifying the electronic signals from electronic diesel pump, tuning unit senses and responds to changes in engine load/speed throughout the range of acceleration, pressure accumulates faster and is readily maintained to deliver more power and torque. The increased torque produced by the VPM20 tuning unit enables the engine to operate more efficiently, so fuel consumption is minimized.
    I think many people are hesitant to buy this product because of the price, but i would argue that it is a proven product and WE GET RIPPED OFF IN AUSTRALIA!! We pay more for everything!! Its no wonder people are shopping more online.

As for where to mount your probe, there are different opinions some say post turbo some say pre turbo but it think having it on your dump pipe if fine (seems to be the standard) and i don't turn my vehicle off until EGT temps drops below 155.

This is my experience, I would be keen to hear how other people are going with their chips........

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiegs For This Useful Post:

gbab01 (12th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Weigs. I've also got mine in the dump pipe - it appears most people do. Keeping an eye on it and would agree that the chip has made minimal difference to the temperatures. I agree with your sentiments as to some of the pricing for stuff in Australia - no doubt we are being screwed royally for some items and not just for cars. Cheers.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,352 Times in 6,458 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyone fitted one of these chips to a ZD30?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many wires do these chips have running off them and why do they increase the patrols smoke when taking off?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,352 Times in 6,458 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eph444 View Post
    How many wires do these chips have running off them and why do they increase the patrols smoke when taking off?
    My DPchip has two going to the injector pump, and mine doesn't blow an ounce of smoke when taking off. But the reasoning for blowing smoke when taking off is usually over fueling.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys anyone know if they are still selling these chips, the website is still active but when i go to order one i cant figure out what to put in the partita IVA and codice fiscale boxes something about tax code or something? what did everyone else put in there when they ordered them?
    Run Your Fingers Over My Patrol, I'll Run My Patrol Over Your Fingers!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. The web site has changed since I bought mine. Just had a look. Under the "important Information" (bottom left) there is a section called "How to Order". Got this from there:

1) Select the products that you want to buy and confirm the order clicking on “go to checkout" in the shopping cart
    2) Fill the order-form with your personal data and send
    3) To can proceed your registration
    in to the box Partita IVA (VAT) put: 12341234
    in to the box Codice fiscale put: 1234123412341234
    4) You will receive for e-mail a confirmation of the order, that include the indication about the shipment modality and our checking account note for the payment 4) When you’ll make the payment, communicate us the note, the day and the exact hour of the payment, so we can go on to ship out the merchandise.

I remember that it was the same process when I ordered one 18 months ago. Hope that helps.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast