Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nissan H233 (I think)

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the rear axle/diff set up in my jeep YJ and am considering putting a patrol rear end in her (as oppose to the typical ford 8.8 that most people put under them) for strength and the possibility of the vacuum actuated locker that came factory. What I would like to know is the following.

What is the overall lenght (or width, depends how you look at it) of the HP H233 (I think that's the one with the locker) from end to end?
    What gear ratio would I expect to find in a stock diff?
    What is the overall axle diameter (need to know for rear leaf spring perches, spring under axle set up)?
    How thick is the pumpkin from top to bottom, not front to back?
    Would there be a better Nissa patrol diff for around the same price as this one which would give me better options for upgrades/strength and reliability in the future?

Thanks guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great mod. After you install the rear axle setup you should do the front axle, then a body swap to a patrol and while you've got the body off think hard about a patrol chassis swap, that would then mean a patrol gearbox and engine would fit straight in without too much worry and you could go coils all round. I think you're onto a winner. With these few mods you would have an unbelievably tough jeep!

hahahahahahaha

sorry im no more help than that.

If you have a bit of a search around i reckon youll find a few more technical specs for the patrol diff.

you might find some useful info here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...s-a-jeep-thang
    Hello from Under Down Under!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

nitramynot (30th October 2012), threedogs (25th October 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tas you forgot to mention to change the badge too, but I hear ya buddy.
    But thats a no brainer lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

nitramynot (30th October 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the vacuum operated Patrol Locker would have a 3.9 or 4.1 ratio.
    the solenoids [on the firewall] are getting a bit old now and are getting prone to failure
    hubs are 6 stud as well
    You can follow me but its gunna hurt !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Red For This Useful Post:

nitramynot (30th October 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so if I were to get a 4.1 (and by that, I think it would translate to 4.10 in jeep talk) then I could look for a stock 4.10 front Dana 30 from a 2.5 YJ and be good to go.

Any idea on the width?

Thanks

Tas, dogs, this may be a viable option in the future, but I think with the current budget sitting how it is, it might be cheaper to just buy a patrol..... Which I think I am doing soon anyway depending on how much sweet talking I can do to the good woman. I need to sell our sedan to buy a patrol, which would be much older and have much more mileage. I see the benefit, but she don't drive so it's hard to convince her that I'm right!

thanks though, very helpful info indeed!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitramynot View Post

it might be cheaper to just buy a patrol..... Which I think I am doing soon anyway.....

thanks though, very helpful info indeed!
    Lol was just a laugh sorry mate. Yeah it would be just a little cheaper to buy a patrol rather than build one out of your jeep. Lol.
    We do like pics here so if do some conversions let us see:-)

Tap, crackle, pop
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitramynot View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the rear axle/diff set up in my jeep YJ and am considering putting a patrol rear end in her (as oppose to the typical ford 8.8 that most people put under them) for strength and the possibility of the vacuum actuated locker that came factory. What I would like to know is the following.

What is the overall lenght (or width, depends how you look at it) of the HP H233 (I think that's the one with the locker) from end to end?
    What gear ratio would I expect to find in a stock diff?
    What is the overall axle diameter (need to know for rear leaf spring perches, spring under axle set up)?
    How thick is the pumpkin from top to bottom, not front to back?
    Would there be a better Nissa patrol diff for around the same price as this one which would give me better options for upgrades/strength and reliability in the future?

Thanks guys
    Length depends on whether the diff came out of a GQ or GU, GU was 40mm wider than GQ. I have a GU diff in the shed that I can measure up. Where do you want the width measurement taken from ie, housing flanges, axle flanges?

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony,

If you could measure from the wheel lugs end to end so I can have a better idea of the total length that would be great. I'm just thinking of wheel coverage from the fenders as, in Abu Dhabi, it is technically illegal to have your wheels poking out further than your fenders. Although, saying that, mine currently stick out a good 1.5" either side due to the current wheel offset I have.

Also, are the pumpkins dead centre on the assembly or are they offset either side? As far as I know, the stock YJ housing is dead centre so that would also play a part int he decision.

Thanks