Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oil

Im sure it's on here a hundred times but i cant find it and would like to know?

I have just bought a 91 diesel that only has 1/3 oil pressure! Not sure of Ks...
    It has a wire dipstick with only a tiny bit for reading on the bottom,an inch or so! and mine is an inch above that reading! is this the genuine dipstick?(a wire one with an inch of reading) if so mine has way to much oil in it and i cant find any pics on google?(very concerning)
    I have bought new filters and will do a change next week(the cars not being driven yet)How much oil in one of these pls as i have read 10,11,12 ect?
    Best and cheapest oil pls?
    I want to run a cup of diesel in it for half hour on idle before draining,would you advise this? i want to try and clean the galleries and figure the shop bought cleaner isnt much different?
    As i said it only gets one third oil pressure(Eeeek) but has plenty of grunt(on the two hour drive home) It didnt blow smoke but has been run on idle for a couple of hours while i fix some gremlins in the electrics and does blow some black smoke now under revvs and i figure a good burst when i rego it will cure that(fungers crossed)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What engine you running?
    Are you sure the oil sender and guage are functioning propperly, & are accurate?
    Are you running the right viscosity of oil for that engine, or far to thin?
    Are you sure that dipstick is from that engine, and not from another? The oil level might be right & the dpistick wrong. Or oil level wrong, & dipstick right size. Check some other cars same as yours.
    I cant remember the spec for 3.0 but soemone will assist. I think from memory about 8-9L. I usually buy a 10L container & have some spare I keep in the shed.
    Buy a decent oil, not a home / cheap brand. The additives in good oils last the distance and the oil performs better with a better product.
    I used cheap brand oil once in a petrol car but only for flushing as the engine was gunked bad.
    Should be nothing wrong with running engine till warm, then draining it.
    If you want to do a flush, use cheap oil for a week or two, then change with good oil and filters. Depends on how far you go I guess. 200km maybe
    Good luck.
    06 GU IV Nissan Patrol wagon 3.0L, Tough Dog 2" lift, Xrox bar, 12k Mako winch, 33" muddies, 3" exhaust, Awning, UHF, drawers & fridge, custom sliders, DVDs, custom water tank and pump, rack etc etc.
    Now just in - GQ Shorty 4.2 petrol, UHF - but looking at turbo or V8 conversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guy its a 4.2 diesel td42? not sure of the sender cause the electrics on the dash are abit dodgy ie have spent hours playing with the dancing speedo and fix it and then it dies(the tacho that is) the Ks stopped at 160k Its only new car to me so not sure of the oil in it or the dipstick which a wire one with only an inch for guageing on the bottom...So you wouldnt run a cup of diesel in your donk before draing? Moneys tight atm and didnt want to bugger around with oils and filters but cant affors a new engine either...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a gq td42 diesel

This is the dipstick in my 91 td42 diesel,its 55cm from tip to top and i really need to know if this the right one pls? And pls tell me how many litres of oil one of these is spose to take...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oilpond; 12th October 2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Dumb

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep that's the right dipstick, exactly the same as my 91 td42 mav ute so tipping your engine has been over filled.

As for amount of oil, the service manual says approx 9.2 but last service i did on mine it took about 10

7. The Following User Says Thank You to simdogs For This Useful Post:

oilpond (12th October 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou so much bro it has been a concern:/ Last owner must have overfilled it trying to get the pressure up:/ I have run it for about 3hours but seems fine,is just starting to blow some smoke and that would be the culprit i would imagine(hope)i will drain some so i can warm it for a refill. What does you pressure gauge sit on? mine is on 1/3(eeek) i want to pour a cup of diesel in for a warm up before drain to clear any sludge(I have read its ok But?) Would you consider it your sled?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1/3 on the factory gauge is spot on!!! most sit at 1/4 at idle and move to just above half when going through the revs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to johno90 For This Useful Post:

oilpond (12th October 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can't see a little oil doing any harm,as long as its not driven, this is cheap way .
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Can't see a little oil doing any harm,as long as its not driven, this is cheap way .
    Not sure i follow you three dogs...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The factory gauges are a bit vague. I'm running an aftermarket oil pressure gauge in mine now as my factory gauge would drop to 0 at hot idle. But it actually had decent oil pressure.

As for what oil to run, try this page http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/PenriteAusMobile/
    This is the penrite mobile lube guide. I'm sending this from my phone, so it's the Phone app but there will be a pc version also.

Hope that is of use.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Devious 4x4 For This Useful Post:

oilpond (15th October 2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast