Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GQ TD42 using standard ignition-type tacho

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Patch,

Thanks for the reply. I had thought it might just be picky about the input signal. It used to work when I had the petrol engine, but since then I have tried so many things to get it working I have no idea if I damaged the unit.

Where did you place your variable resistor? Did you place the variable resistor in series with the wire to the tacho, or as a pull-up resistor?

I noticed there is already a resistor in series with the signal (see circuit below). This resistor is positioned in the engine bay near the back of the radiator reserve, cable-tied to the ignition coil wiring loom. I tried with and without this resistor.

-------------------------------
    1992 Patrol GQ LWB TD42

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just dropped the trim pot resistor in series with the signal wire. I actually removed the resistor you have marcked in your pic & used it in place of.

That resistor marked above is located only a few inches from the ignition coil in the loom heading back to the inner guard if that helps you in any way to locate for yourself.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I had already found it. I will try it tonight.

Which ignition system did you install that caused issues with the tacho? When I had the TB42, I removed the points and put in a Petronix unit. I didn't have any issues with this, but it sound like you put in something with a bit more kick.

I'm not sure why these tacho's are so picky, I would have thought the circuit would be simple ... just a frequency counter triggered by the falling edge of the signal wire. Maybe levels are not high or low enough .. or duty cycle? I need a CRO to analyse the signal from the ignition coil VS. the converter I have.
    1992 Patrol GQ LWB TD42

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spektrum View Post
    Yeah I had already found it. I will try it tonight.

Which ignition system did you install that caused issues with the tacho? When I had the TB42, I removed the points and put in a Petronix unit. I didn't have any issues with this, but it sound like you put in something with a bit more kick.

I'm not sure why these tacho's are so picky, I would have thought the circuit would be simple ... just a frequency counter triggered by the falling edge of the signal wire. Maybe levels are not high or low enough .. or duty cycle? I need a CRO to analyse the signal from the ignition coil VS. the converter I have.

I used a Crane Cams multi spark CD amplifier with a mag trigger setup out of an RB30 I fabed up for the TB42 dizzy & dropped ICE ignitions leads & coil on top for good measure.

A CRO would be bloody handy just to get the signal data.... We could build a convertor of our own thats spot on for the job that way but I don't have one laying around anymore nor the bucks to just go pick one up....lol

P.s. A signal gen would go down a treat as well......hahahahahah
    Last edited by patch697; 5th October 2012 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a signal generator here, but the Nissan tacho doesn't like this signal either. But my signal generator can only vary frequency and duty-cycle. It cant change the amplitude.

The diesel converter I'm using is is a Dakota Digital DSL-1. The output signal works on my handheld tach/dwell meter.
    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd128.htm

It has 2 types of outputs .. standard and high voltage. The standard outputs produces a voltage pulse signal from 0 to 12 volts. The high voltage produces 6 to 18 volts -- they told me some tachometers need the extra voltage to trigger. Neither work...

I'll try the variable resistor tonight. Will be good if it works...
    1992 Patrol GQ LWB TD42

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a signal generator here, but the Nissan tacho doesn't like this signal either. But my signal generator can only vary frequency and duty-cycle. It cant change the amplitude.

The diesel converter I'm using is is a Dakota Digital DSL-1. The output signal works on my handheld tach/dwell meter.
    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd128.htm

It has 2 types of outputs .. standard and high voltage. The standard outputs produces a voltage pulse signal from 0 to 12 volts. The high voltage produces 6 to 18 volts -- they told me some tachometers need the extra voltage to trigger. Neither work...

I'll try the variable resistor tonight. Will be good if it works...
    I'd say at a guess the 18v input is for 24v systems so I hope you didn't pop yours when you gave it the extra juice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had been using the Normal Output for a few nights before trying the high-volt output. Hopefully by testing the High-Voltage output hasn't compounded the problem. The information that came with the unit is a bit sparse regarding the normal and high output.

Maybe it would just be easier to buy a cluster from a diesel vehicle and swap out the tach gauge.
    Last edited by spektrum; 5th October 2012 at 03:49 PM.
    1992 Patrol GQ LWB TD42

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had been using the Normal Output for a few nights, and it didn't work. Hopefully by testing the High-Voltage output hasn't compounded the problem. The information that came with the unit is a bit sparse regarding the normal and high output.

Maybe it would just be easier to buy a cluster from a diesel vehicle and swap out the tach gauge.
    Yes your probably right but where is the challenge in that???........lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true. Just hope I'm not wasting time with a damaged tacho gauge.

Out of interest, the petrol tach gauge is marked serial number "XP-728E". What is the serial number of the gauge for the TD42, the version that has the sensor connected directly to the gauge (not via the glow controller). "97_gq_lwb" did you see the serial number when you did the gauge change-over?
    1992 Patrol GQ LWB TD42

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give up. Tried everything to get this working, but it just doesn't want to work. There is every chance I have damaged the input circuitry in the tacho.

Just bought a tacho from the wreckers that suits the TD42. Will fit it later this week. Looking at the circuit diagram (TD42), there are 2 wires from the sensor direct to the tacho ... but if you look on the back of the cluster, one of them is just GND. Therefore I should be able to just ground one wire from the sensor, and connect the other to the existing loom.
    1992 Patrol GQ LWB TD42

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast