Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Engine convertion?? 4.2td or ls1

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    is there another diesel motor that tickles your fancy, duramax for example. Thinking if you're going to change motors
    might as well do something a bit different to everyone else.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not a TB48

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The simple fact was that for the diesel convertion i would buy a complete wreck from the auctions for everything i would need to use otherwise to buy all the pieces would cost an arm and a leg and the tb48 would leave me in the same boat wont it??

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe have a look into cleaning up the TB45 and strapping a turbo in it ? The bottom end is strong as, the top end parts are off the shelf replaceable, theres no need to change fuel lines/tank/accessories/bolt ons. No need for a donor vehicle. I reckon big power would be achievable (maybe look at those crazy guys in the middle east!?)
    These are all just guesses as I have no experience at all with any of those engines. :-)

Tap, crackle, pop
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll do some poking around and see what i can find out i might be asking for too much but atm i'm getting 6km/liter on the hwy i don't want to know what it does in town and i've seen guys with td42t say they get up to 12km/l and my mrs wh stato gets between 8 to 12 km/l if i can get those sort of figures i would b rapped.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been considering similar options for my GU for down the track a bit. LS1 or LS3 or maybe even 6.5 duramax. Im doing a turbo LS1 conversion on my other car at the moment. They are a good option in my opinion because parts are reasonably cheap and readily available and an exhaust system and a good tune with something like EFI Live and you will have good power with some economy too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i've been look at things here n there and its looking like i will head down that track with the gen 3 one of the other guys told me about turboing the tb45 but 1 of the kits i found was worth bound $6500 a convertion kit will cost me less. For now i'll keep looking to see what i can find.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had a TD42 and still got a TD42 with after market turbo and Ive never got close to 12km/L. On the Hwy @110km/h im happy with 7-8km/L.
    Ive just bought a 1998 GU TI duel fuel and have only done about 1000ks in it befor I had to go back to work and on gas with mixed driving it got 4km/L and I was happy until you told me people can get 12km/L in a Patrol. What speed do they travel at, 40?
    If it does'nt go hard, Stroke It.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricksgonefishing View Post
    Ive had a TD42 and still got a TD42 with after market turbo and Ive never got close to 12km/L. On the Hwy @110km/h im happy with 7-8km/L.
    Ive just bought a 1998 GU TI duel fuel and have only done about 1000ks in it befor I had to go back to work and on gas with mixed driving it got 4km/L and I was happy until you told me people can get 12km/L in a Patrol. What speed do they travel at, 40?
    Tricks is on the money - don't let anyone tell you they get 12km/L - that's 8.3 Litres per Hundred.........well under the official figures, and most people complain that they can't even get close to the figure on the windscreen.....
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Tricks & Happygtu since i wrote this post my ti has improved in economy its streight petrol and i drive 120km every day in traffic usually for 90km of that trip. When i got it i was getting 4km/l on the hwy when i was driving down from qld, so while i'm saving up to do the convertion i thought i should have a play with the motor to see what i can do with it ( i'm a machanic mind you) so i reset the tps to how i want the auto to shift then adjusted the idle to suit and reset the timing to take into consideration the age of the car, km's its done And stretch of the timing chain. I now have double the power i had before and from 4km/l hwy only i got 6km/l on my daily route and last weekend i towed a 16ft glass boat wich weighs roughly 1ton with trailer and my economy has stayed at 6 now this tank full i think its improved a bit more after driving with the load on it, so at the next fill i will do my calcs again and post it up so you guys can see.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast