Thread: El Cheapo HID Lights on Ebay

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

El Cheapo HID Lights on Ebay

Has anyone purchased any of the Cheapo chinese HID lights?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PAIR-9-55...item4164531825

I am very keen to try these out as the are much cheaper than the brand name stuff, but don't really want to fork out my hard earned if they are rubbish...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,450 Times in 6,269 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate would you mind heading over to the intro section and start a thread introducing yourself and your rig? Pics are always good too!
    No harm done just something asked of all newbies, it's a little like barging into a conversation un-introduced.
    You'll find you will get a better response if this is done too. Like I said no harm done so do stick around and have a good time here.

In my opinion those cheap-o HID kits are no good, don't have a good light output and don't last long.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They are exactely like the Piranha CAT but 9" not 7". I've had them my son has them ,notice those have a cover, But them for that price, you can change them like I did to 100 watt HID

The lenes shatter, I had lexan replacements made.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjhicks3 View Post
    Has anyone purchased any of the Cheapo chinese HID lights?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PAIR-9-55...item4164531825

I am very keen to try these out as the are much cheaper than the brand name stuff, but don't really want to fork out my hard earned if they are rubbish...
    I got a set to compare and whilst the light output is good, the housing is not one piece (so don't understand how that can be water and dust proof when you need to open it to get to the ballast) and especially the mounts are dead set rubbish ... hard to adjust and nearly impossible to get them set straight due to the clunky cog style mounts ...

The warranty is actually Chinese which means good luck if they fail in any respect (no doubt the seller will say "no mate, warranties here" ,.. absolute BS unless they've paid for a warranty themselves through a licensed supplier and show you the testing cert - as suppliers won't warrant it unless its been tested) - and if they have, it costs about $40 per year for this type of item, which means they have paid that, are making profit, and bought the lights for about $40 each - i.e. cheap gear).

The other problem is what is termed "commercial quantities" which means if they aren't a registered seller for the product, they can only "legally" purchase 3 sets at a time (or a certain product price value - whichever comes first). Meaning limited stock on hand to honour a warranty etc, no means of carrying out "repairs" (remembering this is people from home and ONLY the ballast and lens are covered under the 'warranty'), and no responsibility to you as a consumer to provide any level of post sales service.

Not saying don't look for cheaper lights, just realise if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is!!

My 2c only ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

Winnie (7th September 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get what you pay for,[ pay a little then just be glad they arrived in australia, to who what condition well thats another bonus] buy quality gear from a reputable supplier & you'll reap the rewards.

2 cents.
    Watch out there's a Poo "Yota" lurking in the shadows !

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my mate bought a set of these and it wouldn’t fit on his bull bar not due to the height that was fine it was the length due to the ballast being internal they stick out the back a lot! as far as the light out put it was prity impressive for the price.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark 1 View Post
    You get what you pay for,[ pay a little then just be glad they arrived in australia, to who what condition well thats another bonus] buy quality gear from a reputable supplier & you'll reap the rewards.

2 cents.
    Yeah, have to agree. My X-rays have been through hell and back and have not loosened up or let me down in any way.

In saying that I have seen a few trucks with these on them tho but don't know how good they are

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a set of these lights in 70 watt just to see how good a quality they where and put them on my patrol which has XGT Lightforce with 70 watt internally ballasted and a pair of Lightforce Genesis with 70 watt interally ballasted also.

These cheap lights crap all over the Lightforce genesis in every way. They are brighter, better built in strength and I've never broken a lens unlike the lightforce which I've broken 2. Now the Lightforce Genesis have been replaced with IPFs and the cheap ebay lights are still going strong with no water or dust in them after 2 years. There not as good the the IPFs or the XGTs but they have the Genesis covered.

So for the price there an awesome light and from my experience they will outlast the genesis but I've never had any dramas with the XGT.

They only cost those suppliers about $20 each from China before stamp duty and freight etc but I couldn't imagine it costs Lightforce much more to make each light either. lol There is 100s of these cheap spotties getting around now and there quality is pretty good now compared to a couple of years ago. The Chinese are even copying the Lightforce these days.

Cheers Mick.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kristoffa, no problems, will do, I think I did this a few months back when I joined, but definately didn't put any pics.. will do.
    thanks everyone else for the info, I think I might just save my $$ for the good ones..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got myself a set of there 55w spots and they didn't work when i got them, found the relay in there loom to be faulty, sent them a message and bam refunded me the money i spent on a new relay and a 25% off the next thing i buy from them. They pump out some great light and body is pretty strong, i do admit i don't ilke the clunky adjuster.