Thread: Reporting from the Netherlands

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KRISTOFFA View Post
    That's a huge amount of tax to pay!! Ours is something like $300 + $400 or so for TAC insurance.
    Alright, but what exactly does TAC mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Wow, that is high!

You must love your patrol:-)
    Totally!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,558 Times in 6,620 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Transport Accident Commission. It is Personal Injury Insurance that is built into the Registration of every vehicle on the road in Australia. It provides insurance for medical and rehabilitation and some lump sum compensation after a road accident only where personal Injury has occurred.

The insurance is tied to the car and not the person. If your driving an unregistered car then you are personably liable for the injury of others. same goes if your drunk. If you hit a pedestrian then they can claim against your TAC.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 6th August 2012 at 10:33 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds fair enough. Driving around uninsured is considered a crime here too and if one manages to cause an accident whilst driving uninsured, rest assured that they're in real big trouble at that point (and they should be).

Apart from that, insurance isn't included with the road taxes you pay here. Insurance is, just like in Australia, bound to the car, but car owners have to arrange -and pay- for it themselves. Lots of insurance companies to choose from, each with their own offerings ;-) For a somewhat regular car and driver, who hasn't been causing much damage (yet), that adds about EUR ~40-50, a month, to your total cost of ownership. Also the longer you own a car without needing the insurance, the lesser you have to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yeah but the Road Tax will be offset by cheaper fuel as a similar thing happens in New Zealand.
    One would indeed expect that, but in most of Europe, NL included, diesel costs about the same (currently EUR 1,40 a litre), yet in other European countries they don't pay as much road taxes as we do. Not by far, even

For Petrol you pay about EUR 1,80 a litre, which is more expensive than in most of Europe (most of the world, even...).
    Note that in Australia there is a MOUNTAIN of tax on Fuel both Diesel, Petrol ad LPG. State, Federal and also the real Gem GST on every litre. Dump allot of that and I'd happily pay a Road tax in Lieu. Maybe they can figure out a way of charging push Bike riders a Road tax too.

The GST alone would equate to More than the Road Tax noted above i reckon
    I'd be more than happy to trade taxes ;-)
    Last edited by NoBody; 6th August 2012 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow the FUel is expensive but the diesel is about the same i think not withstanding teh exchange rate though.

The TAC insurance is not vehicle insurance or property damage insurance or 3rd party insurance for that matter, only personal injury insurance and is built into the yearly registration of the car (about 50% of the cost of rego) We pay about $650 a year to the Government for Vehicle Registration and car insurance from a private provider on top of that.

Insurance for a Nissan Patrol will be anywhere from $800 per year for a rating 1 40 year old in a GUIV worth $40k to $2,500 for an 18 year old on provisional license for a GQ worth 10k! Glad i'm not a young buck any more. Insane!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,453 Times in 6,270 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I pay around $1800 per year for my GQ insured for $10k with a $1500 excess if I have to make a claim, I'm 19 on P2 license. Rego has gone up this financial year to I believe $695
    Insurance company rang me the other day to tell me that my insurance was almost expired (still has 3 months lol) and that when it comes time to re-insure it that they could not cover it for $10,000. Quickly told them to shove it where the sun don't shine and that I'd go to someone else and they changed their mind then.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then road taxes don't even differ that much between our countries, I guess. Very interesting to learn about such things

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I pay around $1800 per year for my GQ insured for $10k with a $1500 excess if I have to make a claim, I'm 19 on P2 license. Rego has gone up this financial year to I believe $695
    Insurance company rang me the other day to tell me that my insurance was almost expired (still has 3 months lol) and that when it comes time to re-insure it that they could not cover it for $10,000. Quickly told them to shove it where the sun don't shine and that I'd go to someone else and they changed their mind then.
    Yeah but yours is the Party Bus Kris

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We are different from state to state in Australia. Tasmanian registration is cheaper. My 91 GQ petrol wagon is around $550 a year. This includes TAC or MAIB as it's called in tas.) My insurance covers my patrol up to $9000 which is market value. (or a few million in public liability) and is around $480 a year for full comprehensive cover with ANY driver.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,453 Times in 6,270 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got quoted market value of $4000!!!!!! Who are you insured with?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got quoted market value of $4000!!!!!! Who are you insured with?
    CGU Through mystate financial(my bank)
    Did you tell them it was a Ti?
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast