Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiring a duel battery solenoid

Hi Folks,
    Put me out of my misery please. Setting up a duel battery system in my GU 2001 3ltre auto, with the cost restraints imposed by the better half have purchased a solenoid as per attached pic. I have done a search but stuffed if I can find any info on how to wire it. The large terminals presumably are for battery connection, what are the smaller ones? Connection from ignition and earth ?. Also without destroying the wiring loom what is the easiest way to obtain a connection when the ignition is on, is there an easy connection point under the bonnet?
    Thanks,
    Baz
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wired mine up with the smaller terminals one to ignition on easiest is the diesel pump positive feed or coil positive if a petrol.
    Then i run the other one inside the cab to a switch to earth as a bypass.
    It actually lines up perfect with the pre done bolt holes on the side of the battery tray as well and the radiator shroud has tabs in it perfect for running the cable.
    On the gq this is not sure about the gu worth looking at though.
    Last edited by 97_gq_lwb; 23rd July 2012 at 12:35 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 97_gq_lwb For This Useful Post:

Bazhemps (23rd July 2012)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, large terminals are for you battery connections and the smaller ones are ignition and earth.

The easiest place to pick up an ignition feed on a GU is at the wiper motor.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Bazhemps (23rd July 2012), Drew (23rd July 2012), MudRunnerTD (1st August 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep wiper motor forsure !

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,
    Just a query here about dual battery system.
    Are you setting up a 'house' battery seperate from your engine crank battery?
    or perhaps adding extra crank capacity.
    Can you pls. clarify.

Ta lots
    Dave.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,550 Times in 6,617 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No generally in Isolation. The second battery will take charge after the cranking battery has been charged to capacity. The solenoid is supposed to isolate the second battery accessories to avoid them from draining the cranking battery.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Thought I would post up the duel battery install to my 2001 GU 3lre Diesel Turbo, it may help someone in the future?
    Firstly thanks everyone for advice much appreciated.
    The battery tray I manufactured out of 1/8th ally plate incorporating a heat sheild fixed to the existing threaded bolt holes in the top of passenger side front guard, used spacers to level tray. Hold down is hinged metal strap with threaded rod and wing nut. (as per pic No.4)The live wires run along fire wall to keep them away from front of vehicle in case of accident. I took Yendor and Big Bells advice and sourced the ignition feed to solonoid from wiper motor (white cable pic No. 2) Earth from solonoid back to body but I will try 97-gq-lwb's idea of an isolation switch later on. Connected to the auxillary battery are, spotlights, also there was an existing connection to main battery for an Engel fridge in rear cargo area, modified a small junction box (upper left pic No.1) connected the fridge wire to same and ran a feed from auxillary battery. Plenty of scope for future connections. Baz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bazhemps; 3rd August 2012 at 01:16 PM.