OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: 2.8 gq egr blocked and oil leaking.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.8 gq egr blocked and oil leaking.

Hi fellow enthusiast,

Just wondering if any one may have had same issue as I am having at moment. I have recently blocked the egr and I have now noticed that I'm having a bit of oil leaking from no 6 exhaust manifold. Look its probably border line as to wether worrying about it. Just wondering if anyone else has had same issue and if you did what have you done if anythin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blocking the EGR on the 2.8 won't cause the exhaust manifold to leak oil.
    You may have a seal problem with the turbo or a burn't valve or worn valve guides letting crankcase oil into the cylinder.
    May even be caused by a leaking rocker cover gasket.
    Cheers, the ferret.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughts ferret. Its defintley coming from between the manifold and head. Right next to where the egr pipe comes out from exhaust manifold. Not blowing smoke so probably not oil getting into cylinder. And if turbo seal was blown I would have thought a lack power would be noticeable and also blowing smoke. Haven't lost any compression from any cylinder either. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you done all the hoses up tight after blocking the EGR (intercooler hoses) did you wash the intercooler and hoses out.
    Have you removed the butterfly??
    As you have blocked the EGR, there may be a build up from before, of old oily substance within the EGR tube itself, now it has no where to go and is being forced out at the manifold gasket.
    Try and get a bit more on the bolts, or have a think about replacing the exhaust manifold gasket.
    Cheers, The ferret.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ferret, this gq has no intercooler on it, so unfortunately can't do what u mentioned with the intercooler. Have checked th tightness of bolts and given a little extra on them too. Defintley feel that egr tube probably had some gunk in there. Usually this oil that was going through the egr and then back into inlet manifold has now nowhere to go as you said. just wondering how I might rectify this without unblocking the egr.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your leak seems closest to the turbo being at number 6 exhaust flange, I feel that if you take it down the beach and give it a good flogging, the problem will clear up.
    Also, a catch can could solve some of the oil/fuel mixture, oil when burned leaves a residue, fuel not so.
    There should be no oil exiting the cylinder via the exhaust outlet, the only way this can happen is if the exhaust valve is faulty or not closing or the valve guide is worn and lets crank case vapour into the cylinder, not being burn't due to low compression because of faulty valve and sent back into the exhaust system, whewwwwww.
    Cheers, the ferret.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm seeing where your coming from. But I still would have thought that for a valve seal to be the problem, you would think it should be blowing some good blue smoke. And also I should be seeing the oil level deminish? Mmmmm wonder if any one else reading this post might have any ideas as well. More heads together the better I say.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would tend to agree, I have the same motor on my GQ, I am going to fit the catch can(hopefully this weekend) before blocking the EGR becuase I get a bit of oil residue in the inlet side of the turbo. I will let you know if I encounter any of the same symptoms. I would also check the rocker cover gasket, because they have a tendancy to leak on this model, especially where the little "lobe?" is at the back. That could be leaking down onto the manifold near number 6. But usually if the gasket is leaking at the back it runs down the back and shows up on the bottom of the bell housing. So I'm not really sure where your problem could stem from to be honest! Maybe give the motor a really good degrease, give it a run and see if it becomes painfully obvious where the leak is coming from? My 2 cents.
    95 GQ RX RD28T LWB Wagon and stuff. www.levelsevenband.com

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thanks for the thought. Its not coming down from rocker cover. Its start point is from exhaust manifold. Like you said I believe that these engines allow a bit of crap in to the inlet. I remember when I removed the inlet manifold how shocked I was to see the amount of residue in there. What catch r u putting on. Where do you locate them. And how do they operate.