Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Modify an N15 Nissan Pulsar Steering Wheel To Fit A GQ Patrol

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I will use a bit of sheet aluminum or steel which will slot underneath the dashboard at the front and some tabs will stick out the back and screw into the existing screws in the vents just before the windscreen. I'll take heaps of pics and start a thread on it, it will become clear trust me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMav For This Useful Post:

Clunk (5th July 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMav View Post
    Yeah I will use a bit of sheet aluminum or steel which will slot underneath the dashboard at the front and some tabs will stick out the back and screw into the existing screws in the vents just before the windscreen. I'll take heaps of pics and start a thread on it, it will become clear trust me.
    Nice one mate..... looking forward to reading it

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well fixed the issue with the indicators not cancelling. I went and picked up some 4mm roll pins from the local fastener shop and drilled a couple of holes in the right spot and knocked em in place. Cost me a whole 50 cents in parts. lol. I took a pic to show the mod but left the camera in the shed and its too cold to go back out. Yeah I'm soft. Will get pics up asap. All in all now its all working I'm very happy with the steering wheel. Quite a bit of effort involved in making it fit so if you are thinking of going down this path because your old bus steering wheel has seen better days it might be easier to go with an earlier model wheel. I think these look nicer though.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a couple of pics showing what needs to be done to get the indicators to cancel after turning a corner. The first pic shows the 2 holes that need to be drilled out in the welded sections, take your time here as its a bit tricky cos its not a flat surface. The second pic shows one of the roll pins installed. Forgot to get a pic with both installed but you get the drift from these pics. Hope this helps someone thinking of doing the same.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same conversion, only mine was by accident. I Thought I'd bought the N14 wheel, only to get home, a hour from the wreckers, to find it didn't quite work. Did the same sort of mods and now I have a standard wheel and the means to replicate it in the future if I need to. Thanks for reminding me about that. You did a better job than me though, I dont think I went into as much detail as you did with the gluing
    '93 GQ, TB42e, 4" lift, 33's and some dints!!!

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, BigMav!!!
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love dragging up an old thread that is actually helpful..

I bought a steering wheel from a member here and was wrapped when it turned up in such good condition... I had not seen these in a GQ and it turns out it was a 97 model... looks more like a GU steering wheel.

But......... It did not fit and was a bit bummed but thought oh well I will sell it on and should not be out of pocket... that was until I found this thread and after a bit of brain power and comparing the write up to my steering wheel I was sure I could make it work.

The Late GQ looks almost the same as the Pulsar but not exactly... and after only a short time have managed to make it work thanks to this thread..

I also need to lengthen the little nob that makes contact as mine is too short but other than that it has been very straight forward.

Thanks Big Mav for this useful thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,453 Times in 6,270 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should know we need pics by now.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,558 Times in 6,620 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeah Pics or it didnt happen mate!!! you know the drill.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Majestic (21st October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah slacker.... Get on with it

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (3rd June 2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast