OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: mounting a roof rack onto a canopy???

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mounting a roof rack onto a canopy???

G'day all,

i am trying to work out how i am going to mount my roof rack on to my alloy canopy without any guttering.
    has anybody done this or are there any ideas?

Cheers Clayton

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,899 Times in 8,627 Posts
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What about welding short lengths of pipe vertically on the sides of rack and then attach to alloy using pipe clamping. Same method on bull bars, etc.

Just a random thought anyway...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or makr some mounting plates either on side of canopy or roof. I suggest nutserting some brackets on that then bolt to the rack legs.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Thanked 20,899 Times in 8,627 Posts
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    Or makr some mounting plates either on side of canopy or roof. I suggest nutserting some brackets on that then bolt to the rack legs.

Tim
    Yep for sure, could even nutsert all along the alloy and weld angle to rack with bolts, etc

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you can shoot up a pic of your canopy so we can see what we got to work with

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of roof rack do you have? When we did a mates navara we used the front set of mounts on the cab roof then cut the back set off and welded a flat plate across the underside of the roof rack and then welded some pipe 90 degrees to the flat facing the roof with some square plates on the bottom to sit on the canopy. We then just bolted them through the canopy sealing the bolts with silicon. You couldnt stand on it but it would take the weight of the camping gear or step ladders etc.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure of the details here, but I understand that the canopy will move independantly of the cab - so if the roof rack is to be connected to both the cab and the canopy, steps need to be taken to manage any damage caused by this seperate movement?
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much flex would there be between cab and canopy?, the tub/tray would be hard mounted to chassis or thin rubber mounts like the body mounts?
    91 Maverick, TD42 Naturally Athsmatic, GU airbox, Red Arc battery management, HID upgrade, UHF, 2 inch body , 2 inch Iron Man, Bighorn 33's , Homemade cargo barrier, Rear 1/4 cut, Homemade rear bar, Roofrack , soon to be installed front Lokka.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't know how much flex there is - first and only time I heard it was from a work mate who bought a dual cab ute and was advised as above by one of the big accessory manufacturers.

I obviously wasn't paying enough attention :-) And there are solutions because there are plenty of utes with canopies and racks.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    My work vehicle (can I say it here) is a Hilux xtra cab 4x4 with canopy and roof racks. The racks are fitted to the canopy including an internal frame for strength. The flex between the canopy and the cab is substantual you can accually see it in the rear view mirror when under way. So by joining the roof rack to cab and canopy could cause structural problems IMO.
    Baz