User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putting a GU on a car trailer?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you get a free tow up to 50km from racq if you're a member then only 90 for the rest of the way
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also depending on what wheels are on it may not fit but if you do hire a trailer make sure you check the tyres and the wheel bearings are tight had to hire one to get a patrol back from the bush once and it had balled tyres and loose wheel bearings that we had to tighten most standard trailers are not rated to carry a patrol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here's the guts of it for ya people;

Car Trailers are mostly 2000kg ATM (Aggergate Trailer Mass) = total trailer weight and load. Most of them weigh betwen 400-800kgs, leaving 1600-1200kg carrying capacity.

The tow vehicle and towbar must be able to carry 2000kg minimum.

Then you go up to a 3000kg car trailer which can usually carry 2000kgs on it. But, you now need 3000kg tow capability of towbar and vehicle as well as either in car electric brake controller or at least one set up on the trailer. (most hire companies still fit them on trailers and activate using stop light feed).

Then you have towing; Most towies now charge a hook up fee which starts at $60 + $2 per Km (with a minimum of 10) + gst.
    So if you are doing a 100km trp it would cost $60+$200=$260+10%gst= $286 in total. Now some towies will actually charge both ways; some charge full price each way, and some half price one way full price the other.

Over loading trailers, can end up killing someone. A trailer can sway just from being loaded incorrectly, little alone overloaded. Insufficent brakes on trailers and towvehicle can also be deadly. Pleaseif you use car trailers, stick to max load limits and use capable tow vehicles and tow bars, tongues and balls. Prepare your self with good strong tie down ratchet straps or chains and dogs. Do not use rope as it nota legal tie down for vehicles.

Some stuff I know and am passionate about, and trailers, towing responsibilities, National Transport Regulations(Load Restraints) are something I keep up to date with.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th March 2012), xtreme patrol (15th March 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming from lancelin I witnessed a F250 towing a Bronco which start swaying wildly!!!! It was close to tipping before the bloke slowed down. Most of the traffic stopped to watch if would topple. Traffic coming the opposite direction where trying to get away also.
    Have towed a MQ swb on a car trailer with 97 Ford XR6 for15km. Told my mate it wasn't a good idea but he insisted it would be fine. His car wasn't the same ahahha

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always seems to raise a chuckle.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bogoor For This Useful Post:

Lewy (16th March 2012), MudRunnerTD (15th March 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have organised a tilt tray.

Jeepy and his unstoppable jeep. Nothing like a good Jeep-A-Pult.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hahaha awesome one lmao!!

tappa slappn about
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    Ok, here's the guts of it for ya people;

Car Trailers are mostly 2000kg ATM (Aggergate Trailer Mass) = total trailer weight and load. Most of them weigh betwen 400-800kgs, leaving 1600-1200kg carrying capacity.

The tow vehicle and towbar must be able to carry 2000kg minimum.

Then you go up to a 3000kg car trailer which can usually carry 2000kgs on it. But, you now need 3000kg tow capability of towbar and vehicle as well as either in car electric brake controller or at least one set up on the trailer. (most hire companies still fit them on trailers and activate using stop light feed).
    Then you have towing; Most towies now charge a hook up fee which starts at $60 + $2 per Km (with a minimum of 10) + gst.
    So if you are doing a 100km trp it would cost $60+$200=$260+10%gst= $286 in total. Now some towies will actually charge both ways; some charge full price each way, and some half price one way full price the other.

Over loading trailers, can end up killing someone. A trailer can sway just from being loaded incorrectly, little alone overloaded. Insufficent brakes on trailers and towvehicle can also be deadly. Pleaseif you use car trailers, stick to max load limits and use capable tow vehicles and tow bars, tongues and balls. Prepare your self with good strong tie down ratchet straps or chains and dogs. Do not use rope as it nota legal tie down for vehicles.

Some stuff I know and am passionate about, and trailers, towing responsibilities, National Transport Regulations(Load Restraints) are something I keep up to date with.

Tim
    Get a Tilt Tray to Tow it ! I have seen 4 of these trailer accidents (car thrown off trailer tow car on roof in ditch trailer wrecked & not covered by insurance because of over loading ) in the last 18 months local cop reads tare weights & load capacities then gets out his book & writes tickets on top the mess these guys are in

Steve.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its all good until the vehicle being loaded lifts the tilt tray..... a mate runs a Hiace LWB work van and one time after it blew the 3L motor (it ran away on its own oil) it was so heavy as it got winched up the front wheels on the tow truck got very light..... he would have had a good 2 ton of gas cylinders, tools, compressors, etc in the van......

Another time trying to shortcut a diff change they tried to lift the back end to get jack stands in with a 2 ton forklift under the towbar, it struggled and cut out.....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tilt tray option from me too. A lot safer and legal, with no stress attached.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12