Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocking the EGR Valve

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought one that has a colour match option. Try this link for the ' K ' trim.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pillar-Po...item4164862d00
    Make sure you ask to have the holes cut out.
    There are also a raft of boost and EGT kits out there on EBay.
    These are similar to the ones I bought.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PYRO-EGT-...item19caed7d67

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Egr block causing high boost... fixed...

Quote Originally Posted by got the bug View Post
    Hi fellas, just thought I would add to this thread. I just put my EGR block plate in yesterday mine is an 08 crd ute & the difference was amazing, I have a scangauge & my EGTs dropped by 180 deg C from around 550c cruising to now being 380c or thereabouts which is huge.....The turbo spools up much quicker, the ute drives much easier as in does not seem to work near as hard now. The fuel has come down from 16l per hundred to 11l although I still need to go for a good long run in order to determine the real drop but for a 20km run to town that was the difference, and that has been a daily run for 3 years always getting 16l per hundred on the scangauge now shows 11 so must be something in it.
    My only issue is the boost has gone from 14psi max to 19psi max however the max pressure now appears not be under load it maxes out now when just cruising at 100kph or so, a bit weird beacause if you accelerate from 100 when it has high boost the boost drops back instantly to about 12psi then when you back off to cruise again the boost comes back up to 17 or 19psi, any ideas why this happens & what I need to do to rectify it would be a great help.
    The ferret told me to put in a bleed valve to bring down the boost to 14psi but I would like to hear of other people that have had this issue & how they dealt with it or if 19psi boost is ok to run with, I am no mechanic & dont know the tech stuff.
    By the way if anyone needs an EGR block plate I can highly reccomend the ferret great service & good quality gear, plate is stainless steel & 30 bucks delivered why both making one for that.......

GTB
    Hey all, just thought I would follow up on this post & keep anyone who may be interested up to date, on refferal from the ferrett I checked another forum for further info on my overboost issue & from there decided to try the VNT adjust method, well I can highly recommend it as with a half turn of the VNT screw in a clockwise direction the boost after a drive does not randomly fluctuate any more & when giving it a bootfull boosts to 14 psi max now not wildley up to 21psi as before & on cruise ay 110kph again it does not go over about 12 or 14psi where before it could go to 21psi in bursts. Who would have thought given such a small adjustment it could make such a difference. The job was a bit fidley but took all of 20 minutes to do so I felt was much easier than fitting a bleed valve but that is only my opinion & each to thier own. If anyone is interested to know how to do the VNT adjustment here is a thread I used from another forum hope the boys dont mind me using it....patrol4x4.com/forum/members/geeyoutoo-46168/albums/adjusting-vnt-grub-screw-843

Cheers,
    GTB

NOTE: DIRECT LINKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED DUE TO PATROL4X4's VIRUS PROBLEMS, ENTERING THE ABOVE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

KIND REGARDS

FORUM MANAGEMENT
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 8th May 2012 at 10:08 PM.

yorgalas
    can anybody tell me why by blocking off the egr the boost will raise by the ecu?
    cheers

yorgalas
    Any negative side affects to blocking the egr? i have read over boosting is a problem intermittently and i am looking into getting a gu patrol. thankfully i have researched this engine and now know what to look for!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you block the EGR, the boost isn’t raised by the ECU, but it increases because the intake air pressure can’t escape out through the exhaust any longer and all the exhaust gasses are being used to drive the turbo charger rather than some of them being re-directed back into the induction system.
    So, in short after blocking the EGR, the turbo drives a bit harder/faster, which will increase boost similar to fitting a larger exhaust allowing the turbo to spin up faster due to less exhaust restriction.

Overboosting is the only negative side effect, but is easily overcome by adjusting the turbo or fitting a manual boost controller.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

DOG (6th October 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo, just looked at the egr solenoid on the plenum and can see what looks like one of those blocking plates poking out, stoked! Thanks for the write up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PHT33 View Post
    Woohoo, just looked at the egr solenoid on the plenum and can see what looks like one of those blocking plates poking out, stoked! Thanks for the write up.
    You need to loosen the two bolts to the manifold and just check that it is blocked, there is a plate that looks like a blocking plate, but it's not!!
    Cheers, the ferret.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

DOG (6th October 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, ok. Will have a closer inspection then. Thanks ferret.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone had overboost issues after blocking a CRD.?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Has anyone had overboost issues after blocking a CRD.?
    Now this is a good question....has anyone????

Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast