OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: 2.8 gq better fuel economy????? Can it be done??????

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.8 gq better fuel economy????? Can it be done??????

Just wondering if anyone has idears on how to get better fuel economy out of my 1996 2.8 td.
    The car has a 4" lift kit, 33" Micky Thompson MTZ's also.I know this probally isint helping but im only getting about 450-500 max kms out of an 80 lt tank. May be just the way these babys are but thought i wold put it out there. Have had car serviced regulary and wheel alignment since i got it about 5 months ago

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,884 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I reckon all the guys that drive RB30's or TB42's would say thats pretty good economy lol.
    Id suggest a good service (i know you've been doing it) and profesional tuneup first -maybe dyno tune if you can afford. New filters.
    I dont know much about this but maybe you got diesel bugs?
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey mate have a go at caltex vortex diesel i find i get better mileage with my 4.2 td and a bit more grunt if i need to put my foot in it, also in every tank i use diesel power helps to keep fuel system clean can be bought from autobarn.

hope this helps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudDonk For This Useful Post:

mikewrigley (16th January 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1997 GQ (as of a couple of days ago!) and will be checking out the economy. I'm running on standard tyres (whatever dia they are!) and no lift but will report back on economy as it will have new filters all round and new oil. Hoping to get good figures but who knows!!! I've only done 175kms so far but found the a/c seems to make a big difference (I thought it would make less difference than the Mrs' little 1.8l petrol car but not the case!). Sounds good plan to try decent diesel too.

Oh, any ideas on how to get rid of diesel bugs (or how to work out if you've actually got em)? Are they that common? I've heard that they seem to attribute to a few things but never owned a diesel so new to me!!!

Mike

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 1997 GQ 2.8td - getting 550-600 km out of the tank. No lift kit, still has Desert Dueller A/T tyres on (from when we bought it). Has 2 rhino roof bars on most of the time, but not usually carrying much besides fishing rods
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ The Turdinator: I reckon you have the 5-door GQ? Your fuel economy is far worse then mine, but if you're driving a 5-door version that could explain some difference.

My 3-door '97 GQ usually drives about 10 or 11 KM a litre; usually around 600 KM, emergency-fuel not included, on a tank of 60l. Do however take into account that here in the Netherlands there aren't any mountains or even relevant hills, thus practically no slopes at all.. That probably counts for some good fuel economy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Block the Egr, have your injectors cleaned and make it breathe easier (exhaust and intake pipes both are restrictive as std).
    Those small mods will hep with fuel economy and will also give you more power.