Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by claw45 View Post
    G/Day beansathome-- thanks for heads up on your repair -- from pics it appears that only bushes may have been worn -- only too easy to replace --
    but note the ferret advice & if possible use Aecetal ( as opposed to nylon ) for replacement bushes -- on Tony's photo the actual " journal / clevis ends also appeared worn & some minor machining would be reqd . Congrats on your repair -- replacement ( especially at what appears to be exorbitant cost ) of whole system appeared extravagant waste. Regards Jim.
    Correct, the insert that goes in the middle of the bush is also worn.

Tony

2. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

claw45 (9th September 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/Day The Ferret,
    Gee mate 'time on m/c's say miller 15 min ( no real set up issues ) lathe for 2x bushes Acetal ( cuts & finishes dreamy ) 20 min. -- mtls say $ 5.00
    don't look too bad --- BUT haven't had a look at actual part to evaluate structural integrity in journal area although from photo looks ok. -- some quick calcs say we don't need lots of parent metal to far exceed expected loads -- looks like Glen William just jury rigged his with apparent success
    will assess part when in hand and talk later. RegardsJim.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/Day Glenn. thanks for posting your repair-- done a good job by the sound of it -- all relevant to the designed function of that part ( non rotating uni-directional compression ) you may have to add The Ferret's suggestion of Acetal bushes in the near future as the nylon may prove ( as original ) too soft -- I suspect what happens with this part is excessive wear of nylon bush allows eccentric load of idlet pulley & destroys idler bearing ---
    really Nissan Design fault should possibly have been a recall --- if it was Ibet they would soon have supplied a repair kit PRONTO.- -- FULL MARKS for your innovation. Regards Jim.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/Day beansathome-- thanks for heads up on your repair -- from pics it appears that only bushes may have been worn -- only too easy to replace --
    but note the ferret advice & if possible use Aecetal ( as opposed to nylon ) for replacement bushes -- on Tony's photo the actual " journal / clevis ends also appeared worn & some minor machining would be reqd . Congrats on your repair -- replacement ( especially at what appears to be exorbitant cost ) of whole system appeared extravagant waste. Regards Jim.
    i wish mine was only the bushes. when i pulled it off the car it literaly fell apart i had to cut the belt to get it off. the center shaft in the tensioner was actualy bent and worne down.
    so i had to replace it or i would have looked at just the bushes.. i dont think any one relises how easy this is to repair on there own.
    i would love to have some spare bushes on hand. its a commen problem

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beansathome For This Useful Post:

claw45 (9th September 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/Day Tony, OK mate ,put the part in your truck -- will be heading to warmer climes in few weeks -- have to go thru Moree --will swing over to your district & meet -- a mobile mechanic yes figures - too wide experience repertoire to be in dealership or similar. -- from other replies a repair / change over replacement for this item ( s) looks feasible. would be good to have a couple in the kit.-- I think I can re-design/construct original to eliminate defect or at least extend service life to that which Nissan has /was known for. Being a mobile mechanic you should PM me on jbuild45@yahoo.com.au . BTW should you ever wish for a career change you would make a great candidate for a training officer in the Coal industry.
    on OT that work done by Dad is awesome -- might be able to meet the master!! Regards Jim.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/Day beansathome, will be doing some work with this system soon -- will cut a few extra bushes when on m/c & will send you a couple .
    Will let you know how all progresses.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to claw45 For This Useful Post:

beansathome (9th September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/Day beansathome, will be doing some work with this system soon -- will cut a few extra bushes when on m/c & will send you a couple .
    Will let you know how all progresses.
    thanks heaps. let me know how much i owe you

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wont be any sweat when set up --$ nil -- pleasure to help Jim.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be wary mate, there are about six grades of Acetal, some are soft like the green, some are a bit harder like the blue, there is black and white.
    Some turn off with an endless swarf and are a pain as they fly everywhere and wrap around the chuck, you need to back off every few secs to break the swarf.
    I use a white one, can't put ma hand on the code number, but it comes off in a powder form, is very hard and you can get a good finish off the tool, standard Hi-speed tips are good, wear a mask.
    Rpm about 1500 seems the go but watch the heat, tends ta drag with being gready, fine cuts seem to work better when close.
    Cheers, ferret

14. The Following User Says Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

claw45 (10th September 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/Day mate, thanks for the info -- you are spot on -- I have the black in stock is hard & wears well - used it for replacement bushes on conveyors -- given good service,machines well -- the white you mentioned might be better if it is harder as I suspect original is crushing out due to constant static load -no rotation to speak of -- haven't seen part in the skin yet-- will let u know when am at it. Regards Jim.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast