Thread: belt tensioner -- rebuild possibility

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

belt tensioner -- rebuild possibility

G/Day to all -- first am newby to site -- have noted worn bearings in pics of subject tensioner and am wondering if any one has rebuilt the worn sections by turning up some replacement o/s bushes & re-bored the worn bosses or is the internals of the piston unit shot as well? -- at abt $ 400 for the part a simple re-machine would seem feasible. Any comments - -- BTW this is a great site -- so helpful & friendly ( Tony is one hell person ) CONGRATULATIONS TA ALL. .......... Regards Jim. ( Oh!! 03 gu td30
    120k no issues.. yet! )

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words Jim.

I guess anything is possible as far as rebushing the tensioner strut but I don't know of anyone who has tried it. I think I still have the strut pictured in the other thread in my shed if you wanted one to practice on. As far as I know the internals of the strut usually outlast the bushes.

The bearing in the pulley attached to the tensioner also have a habit of failing but the bearing CAN be replaced without replacing the complete pulley.

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/Day Tony -- from my observations those words are well & truly earned !!! - I have a fairly comprehensive home shop ( lathe mill etc etc ) seemed a waste to not recon this part -- I know it is an ongoing issue -- it sure looks repairable from the pics. As I am retired ( ex. mining engineer ) I play in the shop regularly still design & build some obscure tooling but mostly just help out like minded mates. Do a lot of caravanning ( mit boat on top --lotsa time up your way ) will possibly be heading up to emerald soon ( missed my winter fishing jaunt to townsville -- house renos !!! yikes -- if so where are you situated we may be able to meet & Iwill give that part a tune up on the mill & knock up some bushes to match-- nothong to loose -- what do you think -- whoops maybe this is not the right place to post this reply ,if so please accept my apologies--not used to these sites- Regards Jim.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have just replace the pully and tensioner shock thing on mine her is a pic of what it looks like in pieces. not sure if this will help u sounds like u have things sorted lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by beansathome; 8th September 2011 at 11:55 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beansathome For This Useful Post:

claw45 (9th September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by claw45 View Post
    G/Day Tony -- from my observations those words are well & truly earned !!! - I have a fairly comprehensive home shop ( lathe mill etc etc ) seemed a waste to not recon this part -- I know it is an ongoing issue -- it sure looks repairable from the pics. As I am retired ( ex. mining engineer ) I play in the shop regularly still design & build some obscure tooling but mostly just help out like minded mates. Do a lot of caravanning ( mit boat on top --lotsa time up your way ) will possibly be heading up to emerald soon ( missed my winter fishing jaunt to townsville -- house renos !!! yikes -- if so where are you situated we may be able to meet & Iwill give that part a tune up on the mill & knock up some bushes to match-- nothong to loose -- what do you think -- whoops maybe this is not the right place to post this reply ,if so please accept my apologies--not used to these sites- Regards Jim.
    looks like u poested in the right place.
    this is the best forum to make mistakes, no one is rude and much more willing to help if u are lost in how things work on here.
    Last edited by YNOT; 9th September 2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, dunno about that mate, time, materials, gett'n it right and confidence in ya product, I would buy genuine for a part as important as what you are considering repairing.
    Then again, I don't know you or of your expertise, I just know that as a fitter & turner, I'd leave it alone fer now.
    I would also welcome discussion on the subject, best of luck with it if you decide to procede.
    The Ferret.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G,day Jim,

I have just had a go at fixing my Fan Belt Tensioner off my 2000 GU ZD30 I thought there's no harm in having a go and saving a few dollars at the same time.

Here is what I did:

1. I replaced the bearing and re-used the old pulley - CRF Bearing Supplies - Cost $8.00

2. The tensioner strut bottom bush was stuffed so I brought some solid nylon bushing about 50mm long and just a bit over size round and with a small file I filed it down to a nice snug fit and what I would call the shape of a cotton reel so the outside ends were slightly bigger than the center. I than cut it to length used my vice to push the bush back into the strut than re-drilled the hole back in the center of the new bush to take the small metal inner sleeve. Nylon Bushing CRF Bearing Supplies - Cost $4.00

3. The tension spring in the strut to me still felt good so I pulled back the rubber on the strut used some carby cleaner to flush out all the old crap than gave it a very light grease.

4. Put it all back together and it's working like new. It took me about 1 hour and total cost was $12.00 it works for me.

Note: I'm not saying this will work for everyone but it did for me so you can only give it a go and see what happens.

Glenn

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlennWilliam For This Useful Post:

claw45 (9th September 2011), YNOT (9th September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah that sounds good mate, just goes ta show what ya can do when ya need to eh?
    There is another product out there called "acetal" I use this for bearings and pulleys on boat lifters, very durable and hard but good to turn, I use this instead of nylon.
    Some boat lifters lift 5 ton boats on a pulley 150 dia, 25mm thick with a 25mm bore, running 10mm stainless cable, so as you can see, it's very strong.
    Cheers, Ferret.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by claw45 View Post
    I've just been down to the shed and found the strut so if you want it, it yours. As you say, nothing to loose and Glenn has already proven it can be done.
    I'm out near Beaudesert and work as a (very) mobile mechanic so meeting up shouldn't be a problem and it would be great to meet another forum member.

If you need any help finding your way around the forum just let us know. Your thread is in the right place but even if it wasn't we would move it for you.

Tony

PS, Off topic but I think you would get on well with my Dad (he lives closer to Brisbane) who also has a machine shop set up in his garage. Check out the 1/4 scale tractor he hand built from the ground up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YNOT; 9th September 2011 at 08:14 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/Day beansathome-- thanks for heads up on your repair -- from pics it appears that only bushes may have been worn -- only too easy to replace --
    but note the ferret advice & if possible use Aecetal ( as opposed to nylon ) for replacement bushes -- on Tony's photo the actual " journal / clevis ends also appeared worn & some minor machining would be reqd . Congrats on your repair -- replacement ( especially at what appears to be exorbitant cost ) of whole system appeared extravagant waste. Regards Jim.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast