Thread: Which auto locker

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which auto locker

The time is near that Agatha the troll is gunna cop a front auto locker i wanna install myself so am keen to hear from anyone whos got an auto locker had one fitted or fitted themselves and opinions on different brands. From what ive researched so far the latest auto lockers are much more refined than the lockers of the past and heavy steering is almost gone as long as the install is correct
    Any advice appreciated Cheers

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run the 4WD Systems Lokka in my Patrol ,aswell as in my Triton, and fitted it myself (plus several for others). I find it pretty reliable although I am aware of 3 that have spat springs and pins when given a real hiding. On every occasion 4WD systems have replaced the pins and springs at no charge. Follow the supplied instructions and make sure you are within tolerance (making sure to record them on the sheet provided for warranty purposes) and you'll have no problems at all.

Steering is still a bit heavy and at times the Lokka is a pain, mainly when it is too soft for 2WD but too firm to justify the Locka. A common fix is unlock the drivers side hub. If you have auto hubs, I would strongly recommend changing them out for manuals, you'll find that as time goes by the auto hubs get harder and harder to unlock.

Only other thing to watch is your driving style. The vehicle will drive differently and have a tendancy to pull left or right on slippery inclines. Alot less right boot will be required and be careful lifting wheels at high speed. Slam a wheel back to earth with the front spinning too fast and you'll kill a CV in an instant

Other than these little inconveniences best money I've spent.

Last edited by XLR8; 24th July 2011 at 01:26 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XLR8 For This Useful Post:

AB (24th July 2011), growler2058 (24th July 2011), Woof (24th July 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers fo that mate

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

Thanks
    Thanked 20,853 Times in 8,611 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I need a front locker one of these days mate so If you do go about it then please wang up a DIY...lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I need a front locker one of these days mate so If you do go about it then please wang up a DIY...lol
    Will do mate from what im reading it seems a relitively simple task fingers crossed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, will be following with interest
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Could someone pls shed some light in reference to how ARB air lockers work? Do you just need air to engage and disengage them or do they have to have a constant air pressure e.g. from an air reciever to keep them activated. Reason for asking is that I have a black max air compressor that has roughly the same output as a CKMA12 ARB air compressor and want to know if i can use this to run air lockers or do i have to have an air reciever with a cut off switch? Thanks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Budjen98 View Post
    Hi, Could someone pls shed some light in reference to how ARB air lockers work? Do you just need air to engage and disengage them or do they have to have a constant air pressure e.g. from an air reciever to keep them activated. Reason for asking is that I have a black max air compressor that has roughly the same output as a CKMA12 ARB air compressor and want to know if i can use this to run air lockers or do i have to have an air reciever with a cut off switch? Thanks.
    You don't need a air tank to get the lockers to work. They just run of the compressor with a pressure cut out switch. The locker needs at least 85psi to engage & the compressor will just run until it has that psi then stop. It will cut in & out to maintain the required psi.
    The conspiracy theorists were right!