Thread: Cluck Noise

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cluck Noise

Hello Guys, I am hearing an annoying noise when changing gears specially from 1 & 2 but as well exists on 4 & 5. mine is 2005 GU with an ZD30 ddti Turbo engine.

This cluck noise sounds like it is appearing from where the main shaft connects to the differential at the back or whatever " excuse my English " if am not able to explain better and i only hear it when removing my leg from the clutch pedal, though if i remove it slowly i don't hear this noise. Not so good at mechanics, but the only thing i managed to do is putting grease on all nipples which helped to suppress some of the noise but yet it still exists.

Any help on where i should look is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Wail.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseacts View Post
    hello guys, i am hearing an annoying noise when changing gears specially from 1 & 2 but as well exists on 4 & 5. Mine is 2005 gu with an zd30 ddti turbo engine.

This cluck noise sounds like it is appearing from where the main shaft connects to the differential at the back or whatever " excuse my english " if am not able to explain better and i only hear it when removing my leg from the clutch pedal, though if i remove it slowly i don't hear this noise. Not so good at mechanics, but the only thing i managed to do is putting grease on all nipples which helped to suppress some of the noise but yet it still exists.

Thanks,
    wail.
    sounds a bit like a rear universal joint about to let go

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseacts View Post
    Hello Guys, I am hearing an annoying noise when changing gears specially from 1 & 2 but as well exists on 4 & 5. mine is 2005 GU with an ZD30 ddti Turbo engine.

This cluck noise sounds like it is appearing from where the main shaft connects to the differential at the back or whatever " excuse my English " if am not able to explain better and i only hear it when removing my leg from the clutch pedal, though if i remove it slowly i don't hear this noise. Not so good at mechanics, but the only thing i managed to do is putting grease on all nipples which helped to suppress some of the noise but yet it still exists.

Thanks,
    Wail.
    i would say Universal joint as well !!

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    sounds a bit like a rear universal joint about to let go
    Agree with these other guys mate time to change the universal joints and I would replace both while ur at it

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys...

I will definitely now look into changing both front and rear. I will let you know the results. Cheers!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is to slide under vehicle with it turned off and cold engine, grab the tailshaft with both hands close to the uni joint, and try to turn it sharply, then try to wriggle it. Is there any movement or sounds in the joint. Repeat at other uni.

If you had no noise or movement, try to rock tail shaft clock wise and anti clock wise and with vehicle out of gear and wheels chocked all round to stop vehicle from rolling. Now release hand brake while sitting inside(to be ready to pullit back on again if you forgot chocks). If you can move it freely 1/2 approx half a turn each way before feeling load on diff, this is "diff slap".

Now what is the recommended solution if he finds this?

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

wiseacts (10th July 2011)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    My advice is to slide under vehicle with it turned off and cold engine, grab the tailshaft with both hands close to the uni joint, and try to turn it sharply, then try to wriggle it. Is there any movement or sounds in the joint. Repeat at other uni.

If you had no noise or movement, try to rock tail shaft clock wise and anti clock wise and with vehicle out of gear and wheels chocked all round to stop vehicle from rolling. Now release hand brake while sitting inside(to be ready to pullit back on again if you forgot chocks). If you can move it freely 1/2 approx half a turn each way before feeling load on diff, this is "diff slap".

Now what is the recommended solution if he finds this?

Tim
    Second hand diff centres are as cheap as chips (well not quite at around $250!) and are readily available, so I'd replace rather than repair.

Tony

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (10th July 2011), wiseacts (11th July 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Finly. I will have a look at the DIff slap before i go for the uni joints.
    \

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i have done what Finly advised with and the results where as follows;
    - There isn't any movement or sound in both uni joints when turning and wriggling.
    - I can move the tailshaft freely in about a 1.5 to 2 cm of the round each way clockwise and anticlockwise before feeling load on diff.

Does that mean it is a diff slap and it is recommended to change the diff center?? if yes is there a P/N of the part you guys could provide me so it will be easy for me to order? Thanks.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WARNING, THIS REPLY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROBLEM!!!!

Id recomend sliding under the car and removing the chicken (or chickens if more than one clucking noise). Not only does this remove the annoying cluck....you get free eggs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast