Thread: Coolant leak from the timing cover

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coolant leak from the timing cover

I own a 2008 GU ST (CRD) Wagon, I have come across a problem with my Patrol which has been diagnosed with a coolant leak from the timing cover.

The vehicle is 6 months out of warranty ($2500 to fix) and has only travelled 67 000 km, has anyone else come across this problem before with such low km's ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent come across the issue as I own a gq.. but you may be lucky its only a water pump gasket, or is the coolant actually leaking into the timing cover
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

mick20 (30th January 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No this has been diagnosied by Nissan and it is up above the water pump.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had same problem with our 2008, but ours was a warranty job. They have to pull the motor out to fix it properly.

2008 CRD wagon, pyro & boost, scangauge II gauges, CC IC, Provent 200, snorkel.
    Nowra NSW.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arwon For This Useful Post:

mick20 (12th February 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a great mechanic that had come across the same problem before with the ZD30 engines, problem has been fixed with some silicon and I was told that is all Nissan do as there are no gaskets used now it is all silicon. Work was done 5 days ago and no sign of any leak !!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mick20 For This Useful Post:

JoeG (12th February 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mick20 View Post
    I found a great mechanic that had come across the same problem before with the ZD30 engines, problem has been fixed with some silicon and I was told that is all Nissan do as there are no gaskets used now it is all silicon. Work was done 5 days ago and no sign of any leak !!
    Hi Since I have a CRD I would like you (if possible) to post a picture of the leak and the repair
    Big difference between pulling out the motor and a squeeze of silicon! and may $$$$$$
    Thanks
    jOE
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Hi Since I have a CRD I would like you (if possible) to post a picture of the leak and the repair
    Big difference between pulling out the motor and a squeeze of silicon! and may $$$$$$
    Thanks
    jOE
    Hi Joe, sorry I dont have any before and after photos (I found a photo of the same problem on the internet and then knew that was it) I can't even see any silicon and it is doing the job so I'm happy and so is my wallet $$$$$$.
    Cheers
    Mick

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mick20 View Post
    Hi Joe, sorry I dont have any before and after photos (I found a photo of the same problem on the internet and then knew that was it) I can't even see any silicon and it is doing the job so I'm happy and so is my wallet $$$$$$.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Hi Thanks anyway, some thing to remember
    Joe
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy This has just happened to my 08 Patrol

Hi guys,

took my Patrol to the mechanic today for my 80 thou service. Found a the same leak as you guys have had. This guy had done one before and he reckons after removing the engine, all new fluids, gasket kit (around $1300) plus labour of 15 odd hours I'll be up for $4000.

The car is 60 days and 5,000 k's out of warranty and my extended warranty clearly states that it doesn't cover gaskets. Won't be buying another one of those.

Is the silicone still working for you guys?

I intend to call Nissan Australia on Monday and ask them to warrant it. I'll let you know how I go

Mike.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any chance of some pics as i have a 2008 CRD with just over a hundred thou on the clock, havn,t noticed any leaks but will be giving it a good going over when i get home from work.....
    2008 GU 2" LIFT, GME UHF BLACK KING WHEELS, SAFARI SNORKEL, LIGHTFORCE 240' KAYMAR DUAL WHEEL CARRIER STEINBAUER POWER, beaudesert 2 3/4 system, runva 11,000 comp winch.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast