Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooded diesel engine

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flooded diesel engine

Hey all, tried searching for something definitive on this but couldn't find any old threads so here goes with what happened, what I did and the question of what to do next if anything??

Tried to cross a swamp and because the water was so bloody cold didn't check depth properly and the road dropped off perfectly to get my airbox underwater.

Snatched truck out and let it alone for about an hour to drain while I cursed myself, kept checking the dip stick for water and dried out the air filter and box.

Couldn't see any water on dipstick so removed the glowplugs and sprayed in some WD40 to move any water there.

Cranked the starter (glow plugs out) to shoot out any water and only air/WD40 spray came out (got my mate fair in the face - gold).

Put it all back together, said a prayer and turned the key. Truck started first turn and sounded rough while it spat about 30L of water out the exhaust but after that idled fine. Yew!

I let it idle for half an hour with no problems then drove an hour out of the bush at about 40 then an with no engine problems BUT
    1. Clutch slipping cause transfer case is full of water.
    2. Engine oil light came on.

Don't care about the clutch, it'll dry out with use but the oil light made me pull over and check for leaks. No sign of any problems or white smoke but put in a little oil to be safe. Light went off. Drove another 20 mins, light on again. hmmm. Did a full oil change at a servo so I knew I had my full oil allocation and the light stayed on.

Got over it at this stage and decided to ignore the light but watch the oil pressure guage. Drove an hour on the highway like this with no problems but noticed my oil pressure is higher than it used to be (I'm now sitting over 4 on the gauge) and it doesn't drop back as much at idle.

Anyway took it for a full fluids and filters change plus engine flush at the mechanic - he couldn't find anything wrong with it.

My question is do I now sit back and think I dodged a bullet and get my lazy arse around to installing a snorkel or have I overlooked something?

Has anyone had a similar experience? I know GQ's have a rep for being tough but I fully expected major damage out of this one.

Cheers, Lachie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lachiek; 3rd June 2011 at 09:38 AM.
    GQ Safari 2.8TD. BFG AT's / Safari Snorkel / Straight thru exhaust / Lots of electrical mods

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a Snorkel before anything else my friend.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Timbo, yeah I meant installing a snorkel, not a turbo. No coffee yet this morning.
    GQ Safari 2.8TD. BFG AT's / Safari Snorkel / Straight thru exhaust / Lots of electrical mods

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snorkel, THEN Turbo!

I don't know much about flooded diesels tbh.. needless to say, they handle water better than petrol engines as long as you leave them running, at least in my experience of seeing someone swamp a diesel. They just parked it on a hill with the car running and the water came out the exhaust and off he went. lol.

But if you've done oil changes and your mechanic says it seems fine, just go with it I guess. Try not to thrash it for a week and drive it carefully. I would be doing another oil change after a week just to be doubly sure.. but that's just me.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it was an electrical fault that affected light and gauge?

Could the high oil pressure be caused by water blocking the filter like it does with petrol paper element filters?

I would check the diffs, and gearbox and transfer unless you have raised the breathers. Make sure you can undo the fill plugs - just crack them, and then having let the vehicle sit, crack the drain plug and see what runs out. Water is heavier than oil - so if any is in there I believe you can expect water, or a milkshake of emulsified oil. Some suggest doing this straight after a dunking. Maybe get underneath and see where the breathers are compared with the depth you submerged it to.

Given a tendency to play in water, I suggest extended transmission breathers and a snorkel :-) and some familiarity with servicing free wheeling hubs and wheel bearings, alternators and starter motors :-)

Timbo, I think petrol engines generally stop with electrical problems before inhaling cylinders full of water while firing on the others. Agree snorkel equipped diesel best of all possible worlds - but don't know how vulnerable the electronics are on the new ones.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Silver, pretty sure the light was an electrical fault.

I've changed the oil filter and the pressure is still higher than pre-dunking but maybe its just cause I've got new oil in?

I've drained and refilled diffs plus done x2 oil changes and changed all filters.

Breathers and snorkel are going on when I get a free weekend and the balls to cut a hole in the side of the bonnet.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lachiek View Post
    and the balls to cut a hole in the side of the bonnet.
    Haha yeah, it's not the best feeling doing it yourself. I had it professionally done the first time, then when I had an accident and had to replace the panel again, I cut the hole myself. It still sh!ts me because it doesn't sit exactly perfect.

All I can say is, go slow.. and if something isn't working out, walk away for 10mins, grab a cuppa, come back and re-think. Helps me every time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lachiek

I've swamped my diesel GQ and its been about 3months now since I've done it so here goes the storey. I had my swamped in a river well over the bonnet for 20+ minutes and this is what happend lol
    I drove home, lost lights and the dash board would flicker lights from time to time. Gear box would jam up because water and oil have like some compression effect or something like that.
    Had hardly any power but I was towing my mate home too! (thats right the limping nissan towed home his toyota mate lol)
    Got home and the engine died.

From there I replaced:
    Oils - engine, transfers, both diffs, gear box. - They were all like vanilla milkskakes!
    Regreased wheel bearings.
    Changed oil filter and air filter and fuel filter. (twice replaced fuel filter as I was too lazy to drain the fuel tank from the shit that got in it so I just replace the filter to compensate lol)
    Replaced front brake hoses.
    Stipped out interior
    New batteries
    New radiotor hoses - because the motor being hot then entering cold water it sucked all the air out and made the hose skinny and split.
    Then ended up needing a new wheel bearing.
    Pulled apart the alternator and clean it up - same with the starter.
    And will get round to replacing the electric window motors.

After all that its now time that tells what else has broken, like
    New alternator
    Constantly cleaning up the starter motor - or maybe i just keep failing at doing the job properly lol
    I my truck shakes it arse off on a first start of the day - does not sound healthy but afterwards it starts fine
    and a few other eleltrical faults but its one of those things unfortunalty you will find over time.

OTHER THAN THAT SHE DRIVES WELL!!! LOL
    If im honest after a good dunking I don't know if its a mental thing but it just never feels the same lol

Good luck and ask away if you have any queries

Cheers Brett

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Timbo - reckon I'll need more than a cuppa to stop my hands shaking.

Cheers for the info Hippo - obviously I didn't drown mine as bad as you but thats some great info to keep a lookout for. Your list of problems was what I was expecting as soon as the engine cut out but since none of my trucks fluids had any sign of water it looks like I could be in the clear!

Hope you didn't sacrifice your truck for the sake of a Toyota!

Cheers, Lachie

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries mate, also regarding your oil pressure, ever since I swamped mine it sits at about 7. My oil is good and at the right level so Im assuming the sensor is buggered and need a new one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast