Thread: My Fraser Island Trip Report, Oct 2013

Thanks
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Fraser Island Trip Report, Oct 2013

Hi All, I thought I would give a little write up on my holiday to Fraser Island.
    It will not be up to the standard of some of our more eloquent members on here but I thought I would give it a go, hope someone enjoys reading it.
    I will add some photos after.

Fraser Island Trip 28th Sep to 13thOct.

On the trip were- Landcruiser 100 Series, Landcruiser 200Series, Hilux, Suzuki Vitara and my GU Patrol.

Day 1- Onkaparinga Hills SA to Goolgowi NSW, 780 km, stayedat Goolgowi Caravan Park.

Day 2- Goolgowi to Moree NSW, 781 Km, stayed at Moree Caravan Park and enjoyed the artesian spring fed hot pools.

Day 3- Moree to Rainbow Beach, 670 km, stayed at Rainbow Waters Holiday Park. Got eaten by Midges, how can something so small causes so much pain.

Day 4- Moree to Cathedral Beach on Fraser Island and set up camp for the next nine nights at Cathedral Caravan Park.

Day 5- First relaxing day of the trip, went down the beach and had a look at the wreck of the Maheno then spent a few hours at Eli Creek.

Day 6- Attempted to visit Sandy Cape lighthouse, got to Ngkala Rocks Bypass and it was blocked by a bogged Patrol and a F150, after some time and a lot of digging and use of Maxtracks the Patrol was extracted but the F150 remained. Things got worse when a F250 went up to assist and got bogged too. Then 2 know it all young guys in their Patrols went up to help, they probably would have seceded if they used a bit of commonsense but they tried both winching and snatching without first digging out underneath the stuck vehicles. They also ended up getting stuck. After about 3hours of this we decided to give up on going to the lighthouse.

Day 7- Went to Lake McKenzie and was quite disappointed as the lake was to full and had little beach, the water was also discoloured by tannin from the trees, very different from what it was like on our last visit 7 years ago. We then went to Central Station for lunch and a walk along the creek. The Dingos at Central Station were wandering around the carpark and would come up to you without fear. On our way back to camp we got to Eli creekand it was very high but still passable with caution, we put a tarp around the front of the Vitara and got him to travel in the wake of one of the cruisers to keep him dry and the rest of us went through no problems. On the other side I was approached by somebody from another group of cars asking if we had a mechanic in the group, told her we did and she explained they had a Diesel Hilux that would not start after going through. We all went and had a look and he did not have a snorkel and had you did not need to be a mechanic to see he had hydraulicked the engine, the airfilter was drenched and the engine would not turn over at all. We suggested they tow it above the high tide mark and call for a recovery.

Day 8- Tried a bit of beach fishing, probably spent more time drinking than fishing, caught one Pearch, was not sure what they are like to eat so let it go. As I had no fish to cook I decided to do a lamb roast in the camp oven, had to put the camp oven on the stove as there was a total fire ban. The roast turned out perfect and there was about half left that we planned to use for lunches, unfortunately a dingo had other ideas and came in to the annex of our camper, grabbed it of the kitchen and took off. I should have had it away immediately but I was just letting it cool of before putting in the fridge, after that I was more cautious. Another camper had a coolbag full of vegetables stolen; the dingo would have been disappointed when he got that open.

Day 9- Spent the day at Eli Creek swimming and lazing around drinking beer.

Day 10- Drove to the Valley of the Giants via a little used track and had some fun getting around fallen trees and under low branches. The track we had taken did not appear on the tourist map and looked like nobody had been on it for some time but there was nothing to say it was closed.

Day 11- Was going to go to Kingfisher but got to Eli Creek and it was too deep to pass so headed to Waddy Point for a day of swimming and fishing, my daughter caught a whiting and hooked a stingray that broke her line.

Day 12- Drove to Kingfisher and did the walk to the old commando training area and McKenzie Jetty. I did not know about this old training area and apparently in its day (WW2) nobody knew about it. There were some old remnants of jeeps and trucks that are slowly rusting away. When we got back to camp we found out one of our group who had stayed behind had gone for what should have been a 2 hour walk and was 5 hours overdue and he had gone with a small water bottle on a hot day. Naturally we were very concerned, especially as he is 67 years old and had been suffering from a cold, so a couple of us quickly gathered some stuff to take with us (several water bottles, hand held cb, sat phone, first aid kit gps ect) to go looking for him while my wife and another mate went to the tourist park office to call the park ranger, the ranger was not interested and told them to call the police and the police were not answering the phone. After we had been gone for a while with no success we got a call on the cb to say he had been dropped off by some other campers, he was dehydrated and was covered in cuts but was alive, big relief. After he had been cleaned up and rehydrated he explained how he had followed the walking trail to a sand blow and walked over the dune then could not find the track again so decided to try to go through the bush, after 4 or 5 hours of fighting his way through the bush he found the beach and walked to a beach camp site and they had given him a lift back.

Day 13- Unfortunately it was time to leave so packed up campand drove to Goondiwindi, 620 km.

Day 14- Goondiwindi to Bourke, 580 km. Stayed at Kidmans Camp and would recommend it to anybody, grassy large camp sites and excellent facilities.

Day 15- Bourke to Broken Hill, 620 km, we had planned to take a dirt road along the Darling River between Bourke and Wilcannia but my mates Hilux was making horrible noises someware in the front driveline so we decided to stick to the bitumen, he had already decided he was going to get rid of it and get a patrol and this latest problem just reassures his decision. He has owned 2 Patrols before and loved them but changed to a Hilux because he needed a dual cab ute, he no longer needs a ute so can’t wait to get back in a Patrol.

Day 16- Broken Hill to Onkaparinga Hills (Home), 550 km.

Total km for the trip- 5323

Fuel economy: Average-17.5 L/100km, Best- 15.6 L/100km, Worst- 20.4 L/100km
    Last edited by TPC; 17th October 2013 at 08:17 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

04OFF (17th October 2013), 89gqpatrol4x4 (17th October 2013), AB (17th October 2013), boots (17th October 2013), Clunk (18th October 2013), gaddy (17th October 2013), GUtsy ute (18th October 2013), healy (17th October 2013), megatexture (17th October 2013), MEGOMONSTER (17th October 2013), mudnut (17th October 2013), NP99 (18th October 2013), pearcey (20th October 2013), PMC (17th October 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look forward to seeing some pics TPC . great write up .
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boots For This Useful Post:

P4trol (17th October 2013), TPC (17th October 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you had an eventual trip , glad your friend was ok .there's a lot of places on the western side that no one knows about . The army camp was a special forces camp , they sank some ships in a Harbour during the war using kayaks . If you go looking there is also the remains of a few old logging jetties that are well hidden . And provide some of the best mud crabs going .

Steve
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

TPC (17th October 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love it, great stories and well written mate, just need pics to match to each day now ?
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

TPC (17th October 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some photos from the trip.

Inskip point waiting for Ferry
    Inskip Point (FILEminimizer).jpg

My camp setup on Fraser
    Our Camp Setup.JPG

Maheno Wreck
    Maheno Wreck.JPG

Relaxing at Eli Creek
    Eli Creek.JPG

Ngkala Rocks bypass blocked by bogged vehicles.
    Ngkala Rocks Bypass.JPG

Champagne Pools
    Champane Pools.JPG

Central Station Creek
    Central Station Creek.JPG

Dingo at Central Station
    Dingo at Central Station.JPG

Mckenzie Jetty
    McKenzie Jetty.jpg

Whale out from Champagne Pools
    Whale.jpg

Relaxing at Waddy Beach
    Relaxing at Waddy Beach.JPGWaddy Beach 2.JPG

Truck at Commando Training Camp
    Truck at Commando Training Camp.jpg

Some wildlife at campsite
    Python at Cathedral.JPGGoanna in Camp Site.jpgKookabura.jpg
    Last edited by TPC; 17th October 2013 at 08:15 PM.

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

04OFF (17th October 2013), AB (17th October 2013), boots (17th October 2013), Clunk (18th October 2013), gaddy (17th October 2013), GUtsy ute (18th October 2013), MEGOMONSTER (17th October 2013), mudnut (17th October 2013), NP99 (18th October 2013), pearcey (20th October 2013), PMC (17th October 2013), Wine_maker (17th October 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 752 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photo!
    I'm Alexander and I'm the happiest owner of GQ Nissan Safari in the whole Central Asia

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wine_maker For This Useful Post:

TPC (17th October 2013)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    Hi All, I thought I would give a little write up on my holiday to Fraser Island.
    It will not be up to the standard of some of our more eloquent members on here but I thought I would give it a go, hope someone enjoys reading it.
    I will add some photos after.

Fraser Island Trip 28th Sep to 13thOct.

On the trip were- Landcruiser 100 Series, Landcruiser 200Series, Hilux, Suzuki Vitara and my GU Patrol.

Day 1- Onkaparinga Hills SA to Goolgowi NSW, 780 km, stayedat Goolgowi Caravan Park.

Day 2- Goolgowi to Moree NSW, 781 Km, stayed at Moree Caravan Park and enjoyed the artesian spring fed hot pools.

Day 3- Moree to Rainbow Beach, 670 km, stayed at Rainbow Waters Holiday Park. Got eaten by Midges, how can something so small causes so much pain.

Day 4- Moree to Cathedral Beach on Fraser Island and set up camp for the next nine nights at Cathedral Caravan Park.

Day 5- First relaxing day of the trip, went down the beach and had a look at the wreck of the Maheno then spent a few hours at Eli Creek.

Day 6- Attempted to visit Sandy Cape lighthouse, got to Ngkala Rocks Bypass and it was blocked by a bogged Patrol and a F150, after some time and a lot of digging and use of Maxtracks the Patrol was extracted but the F150 remained. Things got worse when a F250 went up to assist and got bogged too. Then 2 know it all young guys in their Patrols went up to help, they probably would have seceded if they used a bit of commonsense but they tried both winching and snatching without first digging out underneath the stuck vehicles. They also ended up getting stuck. After about 3hours of this we decided to give up on going to the lighthouse.

Day 7- Went to Lake McKenzie and was quite disappointed as the lake was to full and had little beach, the water was also discoloured by tannin from the trees, very different from what it was like on our last visit 7 years ago. We then went to Central Station for lunch and a walk along the creek. The Dingos at Central Station were wandering around the carpark and would come up to you without fear. On our way back to camp we got to Eli creekand it was very high but still passable with caution, we put a tarp around the front of the Vitara and got him to travel in the wake of one of the cruisers to keep him dry and the rest of us went through no problems. On the other side I was approached by somebody from another group of cars asking if we had a mechanic in the group, told her we did and she explained they had a Diesel Hilux that would not start after going through. We all went and had a look and he did not have a snorkel and had you did not need to be a mechanic to see he had hydraulicked the engine, the airfilter was drenched and the engine would not turn over at all. We suggested they tow it above the high tide mark and call for a recovery.

Day 8- Tried a bit of beach fishing, probably spent more time drinking than fishing, caught one Pearch, was not sure what they are like to eat so let it go. As I had no fish to cook I decided to do a lamb roast in the camp oven, had to put the camp oven on the stove as there was a total fire ban. The roast turned out perfect and there was about half left that we planned to use for lunches, unfortunately a dingo had other ideas and came in to the annex of our camper, grabbed it of the kitchen and took off. I should have had it away immediately but I was just letting it cool of before putting in the fridge, after that I was more cautious. Another camper had a coolbag full of vegetables stolen; the dingo would have been disappointed when he got that open.

Day 9- Spent the day at Eli Creek swimming and lazing around drinking beer.

Day 10- Drove to the Valley of the Giants via a little used track and had some fun getting around fallen trees and under low branches. The track we had taken did not appear on the tourist map and looked like nobody had been on it for some time but there was nothing to say it was closed.

Day 11- Was going to go to Kingfisher but got to Eli Creek and it was too deep to pass so headed to Waddy Point for a day of swimming and fishing, my daughter caught a whiting and hooked a stingray that broke her line.

Day 12- Drove to Kingfisher and did the walk to the old commando training area and McKenzie Jetty. I did not know about this old training area and apparently in its day (WW2) nobody knew about it. There were some old remnants of jeeps and trucks that are slowly rusting away. When we got back to camp we found out one of our group who had stayed behind had gone for what should have been a 2 hour walk and was 5 hours overdue and he had gone with a small water bottle on a hot day. Naturally we were very concerned, especially as he is 67 years old and had been suffering from a cold, so a couple of us quickly gathered some stuff to take with us (several water bottles, hand held cb, sat phone, first aid kit gps ect) to go looking for him while my wife and another mate went to the tourist park office to call the park ranger, the ranger was not interested and told them to call the police and the police were not answering the phone. After we had been gone for a while with no success we got a call on the cb to say he had been dropped off by some other campers, he was dehydrated and was covered in cuts but was alive, big relief. After he had been cleaned up and rehydrated he explained how he had followed the walking trail to a sand blow and walked over the dune then could not find the track again so decided to try to go through the bush, after 4 or 5 hours of fighting his way through the bush he found the beach and walked to a beach camp site and they had given him a lift back.

Day 13- Unfortunately it was time to leave so packed up campand drove to Goondiwindi, 620 km.

Day 14- Goondiwindi to Bourke, 580 km. Stayed at Kidmans Camp and would recommend it to anybody, grassy large camp sites and excellent facilities.

Day 15- Bourke to Broken Hill, 620 km, we had planned to take a dirt road along the Darling River between Bourke and Wilcannia but my mates Hilux was making horrible noises someware in the front driveline so we decided to stick to the bitumen, he had already decided he was going to get rid of it and get a patrol and this latest problem just reassures his decision. He has owned 2 Patrols before and loved them but changed to a Hilux because he needed a dual cab ute, he no longer needs a ute so can’t wait to get back in a Patrol.

Day 16- Broken Hill to Onkaparinga Hills (Home), 550 km.

Total km for the trip- 5323

Fuel economy: Average-17.5 L/100km, Best- 15.6 L/100km, Worst- 20.4 L/100km
    G'day TPC,

Top report mate, you need a few Farks here and there. lol

Regards,

RLI
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

TPC (17th October 2013), trekster (17th October 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm so jealous mate, I was supposed to be there at this time as well but it all fell to poo down here...lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

TPC (17th October 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work with the pics, makes this the best trip report ive seen

Thinking about getting back to Fraser soon myself, so makes this all a very interesting read, as im sure it is for anyone thinking of going, i can see how some things have changed just from your pics (my last visit was 2011)

Dont be afraid to upload more pics if you have any ?
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

TPC (17th October 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow what a trip. Thanks.
    Can't wait to do that one day.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MEGOMONSTER For This Useful Post:

TPC (17th October 2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast