Thread: GU patrol heater core replacement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU patrol heater core replacement

Just did this on the weekend. took about 3 hours to strip and about 2 hours to put back together.

so if you're wondering, yes it is a full dash out procedure

Installing

The replacement is from a nissan micra from memory and trade price roughly $130 it is slightly longer but it still fits in.

only a couple of spares left over...

also don't let your kids in the car while doing this as my son touched the bit on the steering wheel that spins and has the cruise control and airbag plugs on it and when i took it for a drive and turned the wheel something felt tight then bang. that thing broke and now no cruise control and airbag light is flashing... something to fix today.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have busted the Clock Spring, id expect you will need to take some lube when you go to get prices on one (he-he)

I Taped mine together as soon as i took the steering wheel off, then removed the entire clock spring, i actually ended up pulling the clock spring apart to get sand out of it anyway, but didnt turn the two halfs so works no prob.

Thanks for posting your pics, i never removed the actual heater core from mine so its interesting to see, i still did as much remove/refit as yourself, so i know what you went through, im a bit concerned about your left overs, i didn't have any, but i took longer to to the job, interesting to hear if you have any rattles ?

Good on ya for having the guts to attack this anyway mate !

Let us know how much the clock spring ends up costing ?
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! All I can say is that I hope I never need to fit a replacemet heater core!

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    God have mercy ...
    Good job though. And totally agree with Cuppa, I hope I never have to replace that my self.
    On another note, do you leave coastally? The mainframe/skeleton has rust fragments, all over it. Or so it appears.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy firetruck!!!!!!
    Cheers
    Macca

7. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (11th June 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the car is ex mine/rental had grey mud all through the chassis and grey dust all through the panels dunno where it gets it from though, but yes there is a bit of surface rust.
    i took this to the local electronics repair shop hopefully he can solder it back together to save me buying a new one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bloody hell mate, what a journey, good onya, I am pretty good mechanically but I would never attempt that unless I had another set of eyes with me & then I probably never have the gonads to try anyway, your a legend mate, are you a Mecho?
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    believe it or not i'm a sparky by trade but my old man is a mechanic so i learnt a lot from him growing up. hopefully the TV repair man can fix the clock spring and i will be in business.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still a champion effort bud, kudos to you
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, your a legend! good on you for having a go. if my heater core went I think I might have to wear more cloths.
    3lt GU 111 Wagon 2 inch lift,3in Taipan exhaust, cross country intercooler,catch can,EGR blocked, dawes and needle valve,Pyro/boost gauge ARB lockers,steinbaurer chip, long range tank, s/s water tank, draws, warn winch, and other stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast