Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,873 Times in 2,751 Posts
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Notchy change when grabbing 5th

I have noticed that the 5th gear selection is at times notchy and am wondering if the bush in the top of th box is the culprit. Has anyone replaced the two plastic elements, how easy/time involved, tricks to do it would help. This is a TD42 5 speed manual.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (26th May 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,353 Times in 6,459 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You will more than likely find its the age on the gearbox more than anything that is causing your grief. The bushes you mention, may be causing the issue but I doubt it, you would have issues with every gear not just 4th to 5th.

My gearbox was notchy under acceleration from 3rd to 4th, but I had also clocked up 440thou on this gearbox so I put up with it. Then 5th gear went, now I have a box from a 2008 Patrol with low k's on it and its great in every gear.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Bidja (26th May 2024), BrazilianY60 (27th May 2024), MB (26th May 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    You will more than likely find its the age on the gearbox more than anything that is causing your grief. The bushes you mention, may be causing the issue but I doubt it, you would have issues with every gear not just 4th to 5th.

My gearbox was notchy under acceleration from 3rd to 4th, but I had also clocked up 440thou on this gearbox so I put up with it. Then 5th gear went, now I have a box from a 2008 Patrol with low k's on it and its great in every gear.
    OK, good point, all other gears are fine, BD reckons the box only had 40,00 on it when the conversion was done so its now maybe 45,000 old. Or its another BD bullshit story and the box had 8 Million K's on it. Its not doing it all the time, more I thought I was maybe putting a different load on it and the wear was different. Its just a slight crunch or grab, hard to describe. the box runs cool - I had temp gauges on it when i first did the conversion.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (26th May 2024), mudnut (27th May 2024), mudski (27th May 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,353 Times in 6,459 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    OK, good point, all other gears are fine, BD reckons the box only had 40,00 on it when the conversion was done so its now maybe 45,000 old. Or its another BD bullshit story and the box had 8 Million K's on it. Its not doing it all the time, more I thought I was maybe putting a different load on it and the wear was different. Its just a slight crunch or grab, hard to describe. the box runs cool - I had temp gauges on it when i first did the conversion.
    Yes that slight crunch or grab as you describe it is pretty much how 3rd to 4th was in mine. It wouldn't always do it, but always did it if i were to be moderate to hard on the loud pedal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (27th May 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 3,190 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you using GL4, and not GL4+ or GL5? I have found temperature makes a big difference in the way Nissan gearboxes play the game.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (28th May 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Are you using GL4, and not GL4+ or GL5? I have found temperature makes a big difference in the way Nissan gearboxes play the game.
    No idea Craig. I seem to recall a thinner rather than heavier was the go - background drive into the hubs or something?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 3,190 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The transfer case in some models were changed from gearbox oil to ATF to reduce the tendency for the front driveshaft turn. But I can tell you from experience, GL4 + and GL5 are too sticky and cause grabbing and wear in the softer synchromesh metals.

The mechanic that fitted the gearbox used GL5. His advice to stop the grabbing, was to drain a half litre from the box and top it off with a bit of ATF.
    I couldn't believe what I was hearing !!

I got the right advice, from this forum, to use the correct grade GL4, which I used and the grabbing problem disappeared.
    Last edited by mudnut; 30th May 2024 at 01:10 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    The transfer case in some models were changed from gearbox oil to ATF to reduce the tendency for the front driveshaft turn. But I can tell you from experience, GL4 + and GL5 are too sticky and cause grabbing and wear in the softer synchromesh metals.

The mechanic that fitted the gearbox used GL5. His advice to stop the grabbing, was to drain a half litre from the box and top it off with a bit of ATF.
    I couldn't believe what I was hearing !!

I got the right advice, from this forum, to use the correct grade GL4, which I used and the grabbing problem disappeared.
    Thanks Craig, I will drain and refill as suggested.