Thread: 08 GU Engine Tick

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

08 GU Engine Tick

Hi all! Hate that my next post from greetings a while back is asking for advice, but here I am!

Got an CRD GU Patrol that decided it wasn't noisy enough since yesterday, adding an obviously problematic sound to its regular cacophony.

Video says a thousand words: https://youtu.be/t-dfQtAGSck

Seems to be front of block from the ear, is intermittent. Can rule out egr, alternator, turbo but theres not enough room to get my spanner stethoscope to anything else on the front. Any thoughts or advice?

My only thought from this is the chain.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMessy For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd May 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,911 Times in 8,632 Posts
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMessy View Post
    Hi all! Hate that my next post from greetings a while back is asking for advice, but here I am!

Got an CRD GU Patrol that decided it wasn't noisy enough since yesterday, adding an obviously problematic sound to its regular cacophony.

Video says a thousand words: https://youtu.be/t-dfQtAGSck

Seems to be front of block from the ear, is intermittent. Can rule out egr, alternator, turbo but theres not enough room to get my spanner stethoscope to anything else on the front. Any thoughts or advice?

My only thought from this is the chain.
    Checked fan blade and the inside of radiator, manually span the blade to try and replicate the sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd May 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,475 Times in 5,049 Posts
    Mentioned
    475 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very hard to say Mr Messy Mate considering I’m half deaf and listening on a crapple iphone speaker. Best guess tappits/timing chain also and or exhaust additional leak.
    I’ve found that a say 1.0m long length of garden or syphon type hose stuck in my ear and moving it carefully around the engine bay appears to be the best diagnosis region stethoscope tool I’ve used previously on my various clunkers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

pollenface (24th May 2024)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks both!
    Yeah I'll set aside some time to check a bit deeper, grab the sockets out and check some torque spec etc, but was curious if the brains trust would be able to go "oh yeah its blah" with a certainty that more experience with the vehicle brings.

Similar sound has been flagged before but the poster never came back with the end result. Postulating on the thread also included exhaust manifold, and I do drive a lot of potholed dirt roads, so might be something coming loose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMessy For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd May 2024)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, not the timing chain. Sound is intermittent. I recently replaced my timing chain, the tensioner has a LOT of spring pressure against the chain.

I'd be surprised if it were exhaust manifold, you would hear it squealing under acceleration when cold.

Sounds like a definite tick, can you take another video with the idle-up button on? Wondering if something is coming loose and influenced by the engine vibration at idle.
    Last edited by pollenface; 24th May 2024 at 11:33 AM.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 567 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check that the EGR pipe is not cracked or failed at the welded end flange joint that attaches to the exhaust manifold (if EGR assy is still fitted).

Also have look at the bracket from the exhaust dump pipe, that is bolted up to the engine block (failure can cause metallic noise from vibration).
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Still working at it slowly.

While investigating I found a vacuum leak that was preventing proper turbo diaphragm function, decided to throw a tillix and needle valve in and new hoses plus boost pick-up.

While dialling them in to around 12ish psi with a smooth spool rate using a scangauge, the car ran with a slightly extended idle and a few stop starts and as i took it for a run. I had the oil light come on - was not a symptom previously. Was due (not overdue) for a change, did oil and filter but the light still comes on. Another gremlin to trace (read plenty about secondary earth's and dodgy sensors).

I should get my egt, boost, volts, oil pressure and water temp gauges this week, so I'm letting it sit until I've got eyes on the actual oil pressure. I did notice my starter battery was down to 11.4v from the few start stops while chasing the noise, if that has any bearing on the oil pressure sensor (on charge now, I'll try my luck tomorrow but not for long, don't need to grenade it if the tick ends up being the oil pump).

Through it all the tick noises have come and gone, usually not on a cold start but a min or two later... bloody cars eh?

Edit and hopefully not a double post... forum glitched for a moment... I've also had the oil temp sensor stop reporting to scangauge, just frozen on 65 constantly. Makes me think elec gremlin on the sensor but better safe than sorry.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMessy For This Useful Post:

AB (9th June 2024)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the oil light come on, turned out to be a faulty RH oil switch
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 567 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMessy View Post
    Edit and hopefully not a double post... forum glitched for a moment... I've also had the oil temp sensor stop reporting to scangauge, just frozen on 65 constantly. Makes me think elec gremlin on the sensor but better safe than sorry.
    Replace sensor and switch at same time.
    Only EVER attach an Oil Pressure gauge to sensor (above starter motor) if actual Engine Oil Pressure measurements are to be taken.

PatrolAPart recommend do both at same time also.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acknowledged both, thanks!

Gauges aren't here yet, looks like Tuesday. Confirm oil will be via the spot indicated, waiting for the T piece and (less importantly) the pillar shroud from patrolapart which should be here Monday.

At least with a gauge I'll know whether the new problem is mech or elec. If mech I'll do a chain kit and oil + water pumps, and replace the switch and sensors too.

If elec I'll do the switch and sensors, and do some of the recommended earth straps. Do the latter even if its mech I guess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast