Thread: Mudski GU Build Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,943 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    So I decided to dump the Propylene glycol coolant I put in and go back to ethylene glycol.

I did the usual remove the bung from the radiator flush it out, I also took the heater hose off the fitting on top of the engine and flush through there as well.

Whilst flushing it out coolant was coming out of the stat housing port where the heater hose connects to and was pouring onto the alternator before dropping to the ground.

Thought nothing of it, when I was done I hosed the entire area out.

I then noticed to what I thought it was smoke coming from the alternator. I could hear a faint sizzling sound also. The smoke had no odour apart from the slightest smell of coolant, but that could have been remnants of the washed off coolant. The smoke to me actually looked like vapour though.

Not sure on what was going on I disconnected the battery and all was good. Reconnecting the battery it came back.

So I started the Patrol up and ran it for a good ten minutes. As usual, upon start up for the first few minutes the alternator charged at 12v, then it kicks in and charges per normal, not sure why but it’s always done this.
    I turned off the motor and all is good. No sizzling sound, no smoke/ vapour.
    My thought is maybe a chemical reaction from the coolant and components inside the alternator???? But when 12v is cut off nothing happened. So maybe not.
    If I knew how to upload a video on YouTube I would but tried to work that out and my head just hurt. lol

Any suggestions on what had just happened? More so. Why?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can't help on your issues, but go to your video select share and pick YouTube.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,437 Times in 6,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post
    Can't help on your issues, but go to your video select share and pick YouTube.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Stuffed if I know. That option for YT I don't have on my phone.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I worked out the YouTubey thing

https://youtu.be/DwyVrEy3loI?feature=shared

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

jay see (13th March 2024)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    Coolant is very bad for anything electrical, I would pull the alternator out and give it a thorough clean, hit it with pressure cleaner.
    Yeah I drowned the thing with hose. Ran the engine for a good 10 minutes and no vaping after that. It seems to be charging too. Hopefully all is good. I left the battery disconnected last night though just in case.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mudski GU Build Thread

So I have decided to make my own dual Jerry can holder for the rear bar. But. Have the holder running front to back rather than the usual left to right.
    This way the swing away bar is not too long and besides it will hit my spare wheel carrier anyway.

I’m not the best welder so lots of welding and grinding going on. lol.

So making the carrier this way does present some issues.
    With 40L of fluid hanging off this bar.the holders will want to pull away from the bar. So there will be some bracing going on to strengthen it all up.

This as far as I have gone today with it…

Last edited by mudski; 18th August 2024 at 07:12 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Bidja (18th August 2024), Cremulator (18th August 2024), jff45 (19th August 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 579 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe thinking of a couple of angled RHS stays (L/R), running from near the top AFT sector of jerry carrier boxes down to the swing arm and even distributing the load along the back of boxes with RHS or angle to secure the stays to as well. Lot hanging out back.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

mudski (18th August 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 2,833 Posts
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Maybe thinking of a couple of angled RHS stays (L/R), running from near the top AFT sector of jerry carrier boxes down to the swing arm and even distributing the load along the back of boxes with RHS or angle to secure the stays to as well. Lot hanging out back.
    100% agree, those boxes are going to bend within 50m of filling with the thin steel sheet and 40kgs hanging off them. I understand why you have gone this way however the loads into the arm and then the bearing are far greater than a flatter side by side config. Your latch is going to take a pounding if you dont have some sort of load bearing guide assy to take the vertical and twisting load - you dont want the catch to do this. I would be conceptually mimicking a Kaymar style to be honest ( support guide bracket to take the vertical and to line up the carrier with the clamp.), but even then they rarely if ever built swing aways with the jerry cans in that config, and their bearing system is a bush rather than a roller bearing, which is set up for higher compressive loads.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th August 2024)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    100% agree, those boxes are going to bend within 50m of filling with the thin steel sheet and 40kgs hanging off them. I understand why you have gone this way however the loads into the arm and then the bearing are far greater than a flatter side by side config. Your latch is going to take a pounding if you dont have some sort of load bearing guide assy to take the vertical and twisting load - you dont want the catch to do this. I would be conceptually mimicking a Kaymar style to be honest ( support guide bracket to take the vertical and to line up the carrier with the clamp.), but even then they rarely if ever built swing aways with the jerry cans in that config, and their bearing system is a bush rather than a roller bearing, which is set up for higher compressive loads.
    Yep. Bracing the back was always on the plans. How? I have not yet decided. I will lower where the holders are welded to the swing away, as much as i can so there less on top.

Just thinking if using T section steel will be better for vertical support over using say 3mm x 25mm square tube, or even 25x50mm RHS.

Maybe to have a length of 25x50 RHS running left to right across the top of both holders, as John suggested, then run a dead vertical brace from that down to the swing away and also from the top, on a angle down to the back of the swing away. Not sure yet.

If all this doesn't work its no big deal, i enjoy working with steel so I'll just start again if i need too.

Just had a thought.

If I were to make the rear bracing similar to the bracing design for the spare wheel carrier, which takes a similar if not heavier load it should work.
    gu_rearbar2_1.jpg
    Last edited by mudski; 19th August 2024 at 09:50 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (19th August 2024)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mudski GU Build Thread

I finally finished the dual carrier. I don’t think I’ll have issues. The rear bracing is wee heavy but we’ll see in two weeks when I head up to QLD then across into Innamincka and then south.

Last edited by mudski; 9th September 2024 at 07:55 AM.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

10G (9th September 2024), BigRAWesty (18th September 2024), Hodge (9th September 2024), mudnut (9th September 2024), MudRunnerTD (9th September 2024), PeeBee (9th September 2024), Rossco (11th September 2024)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 789 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great mate, good use of the space.

Water or fuel? Or anything?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

mudski (9th September 2024)

Page 91 of 95 FirstFirst ... 8990919293 ... LastLast