Quote Originally Posted by Crimpy View Post
Were you happy with the 85% reduction gears, what made you go 85%?
Crimpy, I am very happy with the 85% reduction gears, in fact had the transfer case swapped over to the Chev conversion. I went this way for a couple of reasons and there are some negatives as well that have eventuated over time.

My vehicle was very heavy from carrying far too much crap, and the little 6 cyl just didn't have the engine braking in low range I wanted. Additionally I found I had to hit the harder/trickier stuff uphill harder as well and just am allergic to unnecessary damage. The 85% gears slow things down nicely and feel like perhaps 1.5 gears below first low before the swap. I have used them on many occassions when traction was limited and a really 'soft approach' was required instead of redlining through the obstacle.

The negatives are that the gears are very noisy compared to the original factory gears. They howl and have a distinctly coarse sound. Top speed in fifth on the redline is circa 30kmhr, and the 2.8 is hopeless in high range, so for Vic Alpine stuff its great. For sand its a pain as you need to be playing in 3 or 4th low and driving is on the knife edge. i could never do a Simpson desert crossing with the low range gear set, and with the torque-less engine in high range would stutter at the first sand dune out of Dalhousie - and yes i have done the crossing west to east In some regards I lost a lot of flexibility going so low, but as i spend most of my free adventure time in Vic high country the gear set worked beautifully for me. Also came in very handy a few times when vehicles had to be recovered and towed out of the bush over extended distances - the likes of the back of Wonnangatta to Melb and Butcher Country/Caledonia river valley via Dingo hill before it was converted to switch backs etc.

Looking forward it will be interesting to see if the new set-up is over geared for what i actually need. i have done the comparison and the low range/1st comes up from 70:1 to circa 60:1, however I am yet to feel the braking effect of the V8 diesel, so time will tell. I think there is a fair amount of support for the 60%? gears as a good compromise if your motor can develop torque above that of a mosquito! Bit long winded, but the complete picture from my end.