Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ RD28 Cannot start after head replacement

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and this is my very first post and, unfortunately it's about an issue.

I've got a 97 model GQ with RD28T in it. I bought it earlier this year and, after a while, it developed a problem with loosing coolant internally and building up the pressure in the cooling system.

After some time of troubleshooting I decided to take the head off.

Fast forward a few months and the new, aftermarket head is on as well as new valves, water pump, and the timing belt.

I made sure that the engine was at BDC before removing anything. Once I installed the timing belt I made sure that the markings on the IP, camshaft and crankshaft sprockets lined up as per the service manual. I even turned the engine over a few times manually to make sure the valves are clear of the pistons.

When I tried to start the car, it cranked but wouldn't start. It seems like only one cylinder is firing as after a while there appears to be a bit of smoke in the garage but the thing won't start. This video shows the way it cranks: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpsp9jh0he..._1465.MOV?dl=0

I tried bleeding the fuel system and even removed the glow plugs and then cranked the engine for a while to see if there is diesel mist coming out. It all appears to be coming out in the correct firing order. Please refer to the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3s39j4jv5..._1457.MOV?dl=0

I then put the plugs back in and connected everything up and confirmed that there is power going to them.

With the timing belt cover removed, I can see that the timing marks on the IP and the camshaft sprockets are lining up as per the attached pics.

Another thing, I noticed that the injector 1 has a needle lift sensor but I couldn't find anywhere to connect it so the plug is just hanging loose not connected to anything. It is possible that the previous owner might have used the GU injectors but the car was happily running with the same injectors before I took the head off. The thing is that I can't remember if the needle lift sensor plug was connected to anything before the work was done.

I'm at a point where I've exhausted my rather limited amount of knowledge of diesel engines and about to give up on trying to resolve this myself.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction or recommend someone in Adelaide who knows a bit about these engines that might be able to fix this for me. I'm happy to tow the car to wherever it needs to go to get this sorted.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images