Threaded View

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    @Snafu I have a meopta meostar 3-12x56 w/ the meopta hunting turret added on. I currently have a basic chrono for measuring my velocities and use a few ballistics apps to verify against real ranges. Will get a bis 500 target soon for the long target shots. Yeah I hold for wind but only have a basic reticle so limited there as well. This rifle is really my all rounder used for varmints -> deer. Would like a more suitable long range hunting rifle and scope set up one day. I currently run vmax 110's @ 3300fps for light duties and I am working up a 150gn load for deer (previously used 130gn factory SP)

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    The Meopta line of scopes I have heard are good never actually looked through one thou. The Vmax's would be like dynamite on thin skin and the 150's should be good for deer.
    I have only been on the deer once and at the time had to use my 308 target rifle oh wasn't that fun my arms ended up 3" longer. But got a sambar which my mate was most unimpressed as I was using 150gr NBT and took his head off. He wanted to get it mounted.
    In regards to your long range is it for banging steel and target work or hunting ? The 7mm and 6.5's are great for long range and good variety of high bc bullets. Hunting wise me personally the 6.5 is good for long range varmint shooting but anything heavier I believe it lacks the knock down power. Even if using like nosler bonded bullets or the like your shot placement is very critical. This is were the 7mm has an advantage in knock down and good ballistics espicially in the relms on the 7mm STW and the like.
    The 300wm, 300 rum etc are also good long range plenty knock down and reasonable ballistics as well.

A good read is the books written by Bryan Litz of Applied Ballistics he also is the ballistian for Berger as well.
    Last edited by Snafu; 30th July 2016 at 10:20 AM.