OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: well im confused now - to nads or not to nads, that is the question ....

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well im confused now - to nads or not to nads, that is the question ....

Ok - so i know some will say use the search - but i have.
    And once you read my post below I am sure some will say yes, and some will say no - this is the problem with the internet i guess ....

Ive spent the last 2 weeks reading this entire site, and a few other forums, plus just about every link on google

So to be clear, I am not a newbie to patrols.

I previously had a 2004GUIV from new, and at that time read all the stuff, fitted gauges, valves, IC fan, Catch can, bigger exhaust and dump pipe - but still had a grenade go off 18 months in.
    To their credit, Nissan came to the party and gave me a new engine, but alas, i got nervous, and dumped the car and jumped fence for a while - went to the dark side

Well, life goes around, been working away, had a company car (200 series V8 - and sorry but i miss it a bit), changed jobs, now had to buy my own ride again.
    Had an interim ride (landrover discovery - what a mistake) and wanting a real truck again, my budget told me i had to go with the patrol, as a cruiser is just way over my budget

So, picked up a second hand (2011) CRD, 70 clicks on it - tidy car and in good mechanical cond -one owner, country miles, few stone ships and lots of bulldust in the all tight places, but no rust.

I struggled with the decision, but figure by previous experience was a one off for me, and Nissan must have the CRD right by now.

So, here is my dilemma ...

Finances as they are, i need this rig to last me a good 5-7 years.
    So, I'm willing to do what i need to proof the car as best I can, but ... as I said at the outset, Ive done all the reading, and I am confused.

1. Catch can - understand the pros - but read the stories of pressure causing oil leaks - so do i just run a vented can, or go the pro-vent and plumb it back in - I am willing to take the best option, but so many conflicting reports - im leaning towards a can that's vented.

2. Block EGR - on the CRD they say you get an engine light if you fully block it, so run one with a hole in it, but I just think that defeats the purpose - i also read that ERG means it burns cooler as the oxygen is out of the incoming gas - so you can run hotter whit the EGR blocked - i dont want to continually be clearing codes, but i see the benefits of blocking.

3. Upgrade inter cooler - well mines showing signs of a leak at 70ks already - fine but so many options - i go go the full hog, my finances are limited to doing the other mods - $350 options on ebay, many say you get what you pay for, but others who have bought say they have no issues.

4. Inter cooler fan - some say mount on top - some say mount below - some say its of no benefit at high speed, some say it makes FA difference - i drive around 500km a week back and forth to work, some windy roads, but mostly between 70 and 90kmh - so I am thinking it would be of benefit

5. Dawes valve and needle adjustment - i get you can control boost, and get some high boost going - im not looking for more power - just want to grenade proof - is it necessary? - other say not on the CRD as the over boost issue is gone on these as its controlled by the ECU? So many conflicting version on the net about this. if i dont need it, id rather not, but again, if it held with long term i will do it.

6. Upgrade exhaust - some say 3 inch -some say 2.5 inch - some say remove the cat and just put a straight through dump - again i don't need performance, just want to ensure i get reliability - some say you need to do it for lower EGTs, and some not. - I am seriously confused on this one and don't know who to believe

7. Gauges - most say you must put these on - well i had them on my first grenade and they made Sweet FA difference - i had no notice of the bang coming. So I am struggling to see the point.

as i said at the outset ive done all the research - but I am more confused than when i set out to find out what i needed.

I realize, just posted this will again give many different opinions and probably not solve my dilemma.

So, i must now have been alone with this - others here too must have seen the conflicts - so how did you decided what options to take?
    Current - 2011 GUVII 3.0 CRD
    Previous - 2004 GUIV 3.0DI "The Grenade" Literally ...
    100 LC V8, 150 D4 Prado, 200 Series V8D .... and a Discovery D2V8 in between ... what was i thinking?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack180 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (26th September 2015), Stevelb21 (27th September 2015)