Hi all,

Now I’ve had the new bus (09 GU) a couple of months I’m starting to learn how to drive it. Bit of a change from a GQ TB42E auto to the 3L turbo manual. These gear change things catch me out every now and then . Been re-introduced to the bunny hop and had a few stalls here and there… Like I’m on my L plates all over again!

Just got a couple of Q’s regarding other ppls 3L’s out there…

Wondering on how early the turbo should spool up. I’m not feeling it come in until about 2500 rpm, and getting good boost at about 3k. This seems too high. Changing gear at 3k plus doesn’t seem right for a diesel. I thought these things were good for low end grunt without revving the t*ts off it !

I’ve got the NADS gear fitted. Haven’t played with anything there yet, but I feel some adjustment needs to happen. Freeway driving at 100km in 5th gear, EGT sits pretty stable at around 500 deg, with around 8-10psi boost. (with 4 adults, 2 small kids and 3 light suitcases on the roof rack). This seems high as well, reading other guys specs. The highest I saw it was just below 600deg, on an incline. Boost generally doesn’t go over about 15-16PSI. Low rev’s are just painful in any gear except first.

Can anyone offer any opinion on whether that’s all normal. Am I expecting too much from it?

My Missus has a 2l turbo diesel in her Hyundai IX35, auto of course, but the take-off in that is instantaneous and the thing goes like a rocket from go to whoa, no turbo lag at all. Of course there are size and weight differences between the 2 vehicles, but I feel like I should get more out of the patrol. Clearly it ain’t no race car and I accept that as well..

Any opinions/discussion welcome

Cheers and have a happy father’s day all
Simon