Thread: What started it all for me?

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What started it all for me?

I have been thinking for awhile, what actually influenced me towards a Nissan Patrol.

I remebered easily when I first tried to get one, but, I hadn't decided what I wanted. It was going to be a "Troopy" or a Patrol/Mav wagon. Never having credit before stopped me being able to get what I wanted in a car yard. Got a commodore instead.

The desire was still there. Eventually I got a Shorty in Sydney, I moved back to Qld and transported my first Patrol back with me. It was a MQ SD33. I got another one exactly the same soon after as a donor car. I kept what I needed and sold the rest off. Someone came in and asked if I would sell the shorty and I said "Don't even bother unless you have a grand" and I was left having to agree to my price I tried to scare im off with. Rusty roof and all.

So eventually I had the now "FINLY" offered to me and I bought it. I have a very slow project in him and will eventually do all that I intend on, although some of you guys who know me a little more than the majority on here, would probably be doubting that.

Anyways, I was thinking what made me want a Old 4B.........

And I think I was impressioned when I was younger. A family friend (respectfully an Uncle) had G60 and I remember being driven around in the back of it on the seats that ran along the side. It was in good nick, but was a rough ride. Sort of Aussie if yoou know what I mean? My neighbour had a couple of Hilux's, and one had a very nice vinyl sticker from factory, I htink from memory horses, blue in colour on white duco.

A few years later my cousin visited me with a Landrover LWB ute with a holden six in it. It was rugged. But well fitted out with Hidden boxes that had wooden lids that loked down inside each other, where he kept his guns, fishing gear, camping stuff etc safe and sound.

A few more years pass and and I end up near Gympie driving an ol' landy around up there myself (not mine, but in my care) and this was my intro into what you can do in a 4WD that you can't do when driving a holden ute.

A couple of years later, I drove a Land Cruiser doing some towing for a while and that's when i decided i neede to start investigating what would be best for me. I knew it had to be a wagon, diesel, and useable in the bush tracks (not scared of scratching it).

So know is about the time I got that commodrore and not a 4WD. Soon after I drove for a local towing company who used a 4.2TD Maverick towing a lge tilt trailer. This rig had my missus falling in love with it. She wanted to know how much etc etc.

The line was set, I just waited to land the big one.

And so we return to the beginning for the rest.

Except for this ongoing part, I now love finding ol' MQ/MK's to wreck and sell on parts I don't need.

Finly will have Lockers and another motor fitted next year for sure. And eventually I would like to play with another Patrol project making it from 2or3 models. No hurry for this one.

So you see the seed was planted a loooooonnnnngggg time ago, and now I'm addicted!

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

AB (13th December 2011), DX grunt (12th January 2019), GQtdauto (8th January 2019), NissanGQ4.2 (13th December 2011), patch697 (12th December 2011), Plasnart (15th December 2011), Silver (13th December 2011), Woof (15th December 2011)