Thread: Start ya basta....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start ya basta....

hey guys,

so ive just been through the issues of a dead starter. I bought a new one then figured that hey, ill buy i new battery too - you know, just to make it all good (also the old battery was corroded and pretty rough looking).

wired it all up, pray like anything and turn the key - whoompo - theres my girl running like a dream. started first go, no issues, kicked faster than a bull thats been tasered in the nads.

just in time too, i had to go pick the missus up (we have been car pooling up to this point).. so i drive the 30mins to pick her up. get there, turn the car off - she comes out and jumps in - turn the car back on - again starts without a worry in the world. at this stage ive got the biggest grin in the world coz its finally back on the road!

well, this morning i jump in to go to work - chuck the key in, turn it a crack to wait for the glow plug light to go away - only there is no glow plug light, no oil light, no engine light - nothing! so i try to kick it over - nope. i may as well be trying to start my front door - i got nothing.

ok, dont panic - i pop the bonnet - my freshly polished battery cables are connected to the brand new battery terminals, which are all connected to my brand new starter. (i know its not the best thing, but the battery indicator is showing that its fine).

i wriggle everything around to make sure that the terminals arent loose (nope, they are as tight as something thats really tight). i check all the fuses - nope, no blown fuses.

at this stage, i wipe my greasy hands on my white business shirt, walk inside and grab the missus' keys and head of to work - and now posting on here for help!

Details:

- TD42
    - new battery (Century N70ZZL4WD)
    - new starter
    - no dash lights
    - no ignition
    - one very unhappy driver.

any suggestions for things to check when i finally get out of this hell hole called work?
    Last edited by Parra; 21st March 2012 at 10:00 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bad luck mate! That's gotta suck. Have you checked any fuses? I'm not familiar with diesels, is there a main fuse somewhere? Hopefully some one will be along to help you shortly. Meanwhile, if it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same he'l hole that you described! Lol

tappa slappn about
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Tas, yeah, ive looked at the fuses. previously ive had issues with the starter fuse (the black one next to the the blue one i think it is). but checked em all this morning (including the under dash ones) but cant see anything there. gah, what a frustrating experience this has been. almost 2 weeks without driving her! i think im starting to get the shakes or something...

haha, im glad there are some people that have to suffer work too :P makes me feel better!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually, just on that - would a blown ignition fuse result in no dash lights?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A blown ignition fuse can stop the warning lights from working but the vehicle should still crank.

It sounds like you could have a problem with the main fuse near the battery or a bad connection between the fuse and battery.

Did the radio and interior light work?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply Yendor. to be honest, i didnt notice the interior light at all this morning (i just called the missus for her to go check it). and i have my radio off, so it doesnt automatically come on when i try.

update: wife just emailed me - nope, no interior lights, and no headlights...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    actually, just on that - would a blown ignition fuse result in no dash lights?
    thats a good place to start probly a 10amp then check the rest

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok, this means it is a main power/earth supply problem.

Check the battery hasn't died, the terminals are clean and tight.

Make sure the earth lead to the engine and body are clean and tight.

Double check the main fuses near the battery and make sure the connectors in the plug are ok.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Silver (21st March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help guys - very much appreciate it!

one last question - can anyone post a photo or tell me what the couple of main fuses are (amp wise) near the battery so i can pick some up on my way home?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, so just went home at lunch and put the multi to it.

0v on the battery. zilch, nada, nothing.

what sort of short/draw needs to be on a 4wd battery to drain it completely in 10 hours or so...?!

sigh, well, put it on charge, so will see what the go is when i get home.

thanks again for your help guys.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast