OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Wheatbelt Run part 2 (and WW11 Crash site)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wheatbelt Run part 2 (and WW11 Crash site)

I didn't realise so many people would be interested in "Rocks" so here is a 4 day trip we did a couple of months back... enjoy

Oh, by the way, the missus and I haven't even done 1/2 of 'em yet...

We meandered out of Rockingham at gentleman’s hours heading for the thriving metropolis of Bruce Rock via Jarrahdale, Nth Bannister and then into new Territory for us of Pingelly, Lake Yealering, Corrigin and all those dinky little towns along the way.
    Bruce Rock Caravan Park had some excellent reports and we were very happy we chose it as it was certainly the pick of the Parks that we did check out on our wanderings.

First day on the Rock Tour was ‘North’ with plans to get as far up as Bonnie Rock however our first stop was Merredin to replace not one but two pairs of blown out Japanese Safety Boots and that led to a Cuppa and well we kinda slowed down from there.
    We did knock over Bruce Rock (1) and Merredin Peak (2) as we headed out to Westonia for Marj to catch up with some childhood memories then Sandford Rock (3) , Moorine Rock (4), Keokanie Rock (5) and Karolin Rock (6) got eyeballed. Apart from the endless wheat fields two other things became apparent in that it was goddam hot and the Mines out this way may not rival the superpit but they are goddam big. Anyway quick change of plan due to the hot day had us cut right to Bullfinch and Southern Cross with the 8 or so northern Rocks put off till another visit. Strawberry Rock (7) Jilbadgie (8) and Frog Rock (9) came and went however I must say that Frog Rock has easily the prettiest Rockhole of the lot.

Day Two became ‘East’ as my beloved Navvy was a tad worn out and opted to stay in camp so I set off on the longest and what would have been the most boring leg for Marj as I wanted to check out a WW 11 RAAF aircraft crash site out near Jilbadji. The Pilot walked 4 days before he was rescued and the Nav was never found. The harvest is in full swing and some of the machinery on the road was awesome. Yilgerin Rock (10), Myarin Rock (11) and Emu Hill (12) before the long straight push from Narembeen to Mt Walker (13) and a decision to leave the Anderson Rocks for another time and head for Gnamma Hill (14) and the large Dam (for out here) and Pump Station and it was off thru the Rabbit Proof fence to the Crash Site. A few pic’s and a tick in a personal “wanna see that list” box and it was about face and Neendojer Rock (15) , Mt Hampton (16) and Kangaroo Rock (17).

Day Three was South and hopes of Wave Rock soon disappeared as we found there just wasn’t enough time in the day. Shackleton to check out Australias smallest Bank/Child Care Centre/Aircraft Observation Post/Met Station (thanks XLR8) and Kokebin Rock (18) which has a truly awesome Stockmans Handbuilt Well then Nangeen Hill (19), Toapin Rock (20) which had a Dam fully roofed over to combat evaporation which was no mean feat and off to Gorge Rock (21) cracking good swimming hole, then Kulin, bigger water slide than Bruce Rock but not working so another win to us, along the Tin Horse Highway to Jilakin Rock (22) and up to Yeerakine Rock (23) before a cruise back to Bruce Rock and some more Beers a Slide or three and ½ hour in the Spa Pool.

I was continually amazed how absolutely important thses Outcrops were to early Australiana as almost every one of them had Cairns where the local school was or the Sandalwood Cutters camped and small hamlets sprang up only to disappear.

Couple of Pics I hope you enjoy

Moorine Rock

BIG Marbles

Karolin Rock Waterhole

Frog Rock (one of the top 3 Rockholes we saw)

Tankage that gives an idea how much water these Rocks collect

Feeder Weirs

Hidden Hollow

Hidden Hollow 2

Roe Dam (virtually on top of the Rock)

Aircraft Crash Site (whats left of the hole the engine went in 10 feet)

One of the Wreckage Piles left by the recovery crews

Kokebin Rock Well (pics don't do it justice)

Toapin Weir (some of the old roofing work still visible)

Gorge Rock Swimming Hole

Gorge Rock even had a diving board (footings still visible)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

04OFF (28th February 2012), AB (28th February 2012), Clunk (28th February 2012), growler2058 (28th February 2012), GUtsy ute (28th February 2012), MudRunnerTD (28th February 2012), NissanGQ4.2 (28th February 2012), oncedisturbed (28th February 2012), pearcey (28th February 2012), Silver (28th February 2012), timbar (28th February 2012), Woof (28th February 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looken good ET
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definatly great country makin me want to pack up and start driveing

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The man sure knows how to get his rocks off!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Pics Mate Looks like an Interesting Trip

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rocks, rocks, we love rocks here.............thanks mate for posting your trip here so the rest of Australia (and our friends overseas) can see some of our great state
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 720 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate. More spots to see when we do the big WA trip , the diary slowly filling up
    top snapshots too.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just love it mate thanks for sharing
    we havnt had any pics for a while

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great photos ET, rocks rocks, we love rocks!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome shots mates, thanks for posting. Man it would have been a hard life back then. Too hot for me!

Lucas
    Hello from Under Down Under!