Thread: A lot of beach driving

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of beach driving

Hi guys, Im regularly finding myself at Salt Creek, a favourite fishing spot of mine, very soft sand,
    I have a 91 GQ with a TB42 in it, running 15" s Any suggestions on a brand/type of tyre, I dont know much about rubber.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just put micky thompsons on mine atz`s man what a differance
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yakumo View Post
    Hi guys, Im regularly finding myself at Salt Creek, a favourite fishing spot of mine, very soft sand,
    I have a 91 GQ with a TB42 in it, running 15" s Any suggestions on a brand/type of tyre, I dont know much about rubber.
    Get yourself a good all round All terrain...... nothing too aggressive or you'll find the tyres will just dig into the sand.

There's plenty of choice out there, so will come down to budget I guess................ everyone here really has there own opinions, I personally like my BFG A/T's but will be replaced soon with what Nowoolies has, but only coz I'm after something a bit more aggressive and no't want to go to muddies.
    Last edited by Clunk; 18th October 2011 at 02:54 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im running a Kuhmo tyre all terain and they are fine for mud and sand and the road they suit my needs but its all personal preferance ??

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also remember to experiment with different pressures, different brand tyres react differently to different pressures. Play around mate

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,509 Times in 6,604 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Size Does Matter! in sand. Big and Wide is a winner here.

Yep as others have said mate, not a muddie but rather a good all terrain will be perfect. If your going a new tyre then go a 33 x 12.5 at least mate and they will really look after you in the soft stuff.

You might also consider fitting a set of good tubes too if your all about the sand. Tubes will let you drop your pressures another few PSI and may be the difference between driving out and spending the night. The Tube will also reduce the likelihood of spitting a bead as if it does move or bend the air wont come out and it wont go POP and thats a good thing.

Yes, you will risk spinning the tyre and ripping the valve off the tube, true. But if your spinning the tyre on the rim your just as likely to pop the bead. Carry a couple of spare valves for if it ever happens. Never to me so far.

Have fun.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 15th December 2011 at 02:20 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, You mean like air roads? or a full tube? Has anyone had any experience with air roads, and how much would they cost/ where would the best place be to get them?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,509 Times in 6,604 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, You mean like air roads? or a full tube? Has anyone had any experience with air roads, and how much would they cost/ where would the best place be to get them?
    Sorry Yakumo, i am not sure what an "Air Road" is mate? tried to google it and came back blank?? what do you mean mate? Do you mean something like Staun INternal Bead locks?

I run Simex heavy duty tubes off road and have never blown a bead in any situation. smashed a few rims and the tyre held air which was lucky, Tubes are great.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmm don't know that I agree with big and wide for sand.

I do agree that increased diameter is good. A big diameter tyre, with reduced pressure gives a long foot print that is not too wide.

An aggresive tread is not ideal either. In the past I've done quite well with an overloaded MQ wagon with the oh so powerful l28 petrol engine in soft sand heading to a camping trip on Moreton Island. The tyres, Pirelli Dakars, 750R16. 812mm tall. Spin up and stop on damp grass with any slope, but great on sand.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently 'cheeze cutters' don't work. I'm having the same issue, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, too.

Until you make a decision, take a GU with you. lol
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast