Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 Bike rack for GQ LWB

Hey All,

Do any of you have bike racks for your Patrols?
    Looking for a bike rack to carry 4 adult bikes on the tow-bar mount - but assuming this needs to be extra long to go past the spare wheel on the back.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Any of these look ok?
    http://www.roofrack.com.au/Products/...5/Default.aspx
    as these folks were really good for pricing on the cargo barrier.

or how about this:
    http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/4-...ier-car/CB-615

Any recommendations or suggestions?
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a spare wheel on the back door, you may need to assess what will fit.

I made up an extended bar to go into the Hayman Reece style receiver on mine.

This means the rack jiggles around more. I took our bikes on a several thousand k holiday on the blacktop, and keeping the fastenings tight that clamp the bike was an issue - on my rack, the bikes are clamped between two shaped plates. But because the bolts provided don't do up tight on anything, they come loose. Even nylocks come lose and need to be checked regularly. Crush tubes would fix this I guess.

All of that said, it works fine for a 10k trip.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    If you have a spare wheel on the back door, you may need to assess what will fit.

This means the rack jiggles around more. I took our bikes on a several thousand k holiday on the blacktop, and keeping the fastenings tight that clamp the bike was an issue - on my rack, the bikes are clamped between two shaped plates. But because the bolts provided don't do up tight on anything, they come loose. Even nylocks come lose and need to be checked regularly. Crush tubes would fix this I guess.

in Qld we need to have an accessory number plate. Since I was mucking around I also fitted a number plate light and red tail light, works off the trailer plug. Be careful how you do this, or you may not be able to get the rack inside the bike frame :-)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post

Here's a good mod for you all.

If you drill onto the very corner of your receiver close to the opening & weld a high tensile nut over the hole to make it captive accompanied with a bolt to suit & an extra nut to use as a lock nut you can fit the hitch of your choice then tighten up the bolt in the captive nut & lock it up with the extra nut (lock nut) & all your rattles are gone.

Your hitch will not rattle or even move a whisker with this mod & that means no clanging & banging from the back when towing which can become nothing short of irritating over a long trip.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made up a rack to suit a 250cc dirt bike, Don't think I could build one to fit four of em.......oh we arn't talking abour real bikes are we...
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.