Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new guy's turbo gq

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new guy's turbo gq

hey everyone, well instead of putting all the pics and updates of my gq in the introduction section i thought i may as well put a members ride thread. i'll copy and paste the writing from there into here now and the pics from there also. keep it all together in one place here i think will be best.

hey everyone,

New member here. And new to patrol's, well new to the 4x4 world altogether. it's a 1996 gq patrol st lwb station wagon. rd28t and just gone over 357,000km's.

bought her on the 24/06/2011. got my license back after 26 months on the 07/07/2011.

car came with uhf, kenwood cd player, winch with both wired and wireless remotes (unsure of brand), arb steel bullbar, haymen and reece heavy duty towbar (needed this for work to), dual batteries, roolite spotties, maxxis buckshot's 265/75/16's (31.6"), 2" suspension lift with efs springs and ultima 0-2" shocks, turbo timer, and tailshaft already turned around 180 degrees.

before getting my license back i fitted up a few things i had laying around from old cars, fire extinguisher, boost gauge (found out it's broken and not doing anything), alpine cd player to replace the cheap kenwood one, mounted an xr6t intercooler in the front, hopefully have the piping finished for it by next weekend, had a fair wait on the silicone joiners, bought a boost controller (will go on after i have a working boost gauge and pyro gauge, also bought a brand new tradesman roof rack for $300 and fitted that up.

after getting my license and going out and getting stuck on my diff's a few times i went out and bought some brand new black 15x8 sunnies and 35" maxxis bighorn's. had the winch stuff up while bogged on diff's, long story short ended up needing to use the cable as a snatch to get me out of there. got the winch to work again, just to have the remote solenoid get stuck on in and wind the cable in till it snapped as it happened after i had just hooked it to the point on the bullbar to touch it in, so my fairlead is fair ruined now and also needing a new cable and hopefully get away with a service of the winch instead of needing to buy a new one.

overall, very happy with the car, very clean, only managed to spot about 3 tiny little dents and that's looking very closely to find them. no rust at all, not even surface rust. interior is like new, oh i also removed the 3rd row of seats as there not needed. love how the back seats fold up in it makes it perfect for having my dog's in the back without needing a cargo barrier.

here's a few pic's.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    went out to yack both saturday and sunday on the weekend. only a few pics taken.

here's from saturday

and here's from sunday

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man, very nice - thats a LOT of wheel in that wheel arch!

love it!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    man, very nice - thats a LOT of wheel in that wheel arch!

love it!
    Agreed, are they 33" tyres?

How do you find the RD28 engine?

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in the rear guard they just touching on the rear, nothing to stress about though and front just pushes the plastic flare forward as it goes

front guard's just hit on the plastic inner flare when offroad, so have ordered some 15mm radius arm spacers to fix that issue.

tires are 35x12.5x15's

really happy with the 2.8, mate has a leaf sprung 4.2 gq tray back. and he is always saying he was struggling to have enough power to get up places that i did with ease.

also forgot to say i blocked off the egr just yesterday to. and am about to fit my manual boost controller, but not to sure if i should wind it up at all or not yet as boost gauge is not working and haven't got another one yet. also bought myself a 150L a min air compressor yesterday, after blowing up a cheap ebay one i got from trying to pump a single 31" tire, only got it 12psi and died lol.

if anyone on here is from around the albury / wodonga area, i recomend you check out bartlet automotive on nurigong st, as they have just started selling 4x4 gear and have got a lot of gear in stock now. got my 60" high lift and air compressor from them and a new winch cable on the way. they stock tigerz11 and mcc 4x4 gear. and no, i don't work there, just a happy customer trying to help a business into the 4x4 world.
    Last edited by gqt; 2nd August 2011 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice rig old mate ... good to see you picked it up in tip top shape and then proceeded to use it for what it's built for!!! The 35's certainly fill the arches as said!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks to be a very neat looking bus there mate.

Yep, those wheel arches are all filled up in that last shot...haha

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was by far the tidiest in my price range. Was at first concerned about the 2.8, but it goes alot better then I expected and will only get better from now on

Yeah I couldn't not use it offroad, I've got 2 uncles into 4wding also. One has a hilux that has 14" of suspension travel still on leaf springs front and rear. And the other has a couple Suzuki Sierra's, one with a rover 4.6 v8 and another with a efi 1.6 vitara motor and aftermarket ecu and 6" lift on the way with plans of 35's or 36's haha.

Yeah 35's are perfect for it really. As soon as the 15mm radius arm spacers turn up I'll have no concerns at all with them.

Well they did actually break one of the mounting points for the rear plastic flares off lol. Just the one at the rear side of the guard very bottom bracket, there is another not far up so it's all good, I was going to cut the bracket off anyways because it really was the only concern on the rear. It does only just touch the metalwork, but that's not pushing against it just rubbing really. Also with the plastic flares on it keeps the tread of the tires covered for driving on road making it legal in not sticking out of the guards at least 31's are on for street driving though anyways.

Got the boost controller on now. Not going to play with it though till after I got boost and pyro guage sorted. Need to get off my arse and finish hooking up the intercooler also. And hopefully not to long till I have a full turbo back 3" exhaust
    Last edited by gqt; 2nd August 2011 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15mm radius arm spacers turned up on Thursday. Going to fit them today if I get a break from the rain. And hopefully get the 31's back on. Work trailer sits on to much of an angle with the 35's on.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one clean Rig mate. Love the Whities

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast