OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Headlight Bulbs - Best replacement on a GQ?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Headlight Bulbs - Best replacement on a GQ?

The beastie's lights are not so flash these days and I wanted to know two things;

1. What have other GQ owners done to upgrade the headlights on their unit?
    2. At what point do you need to upgarde the wiring to a heavier gauge or install a relay (eg on a 100/90 or 130/90 H4)?

Cheers

Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    installing the wiring upgrade and relays will give you an immediate improvement, even with the std sealed beam but if you want the best result fit HID. I recently did mine and am stoked with the result. I used the Britax/Revolution kit which is 55W/6000K Hi/Lo and fitted the Narva semi sealed lenses. The Narva upgrade kits are about $130 and come with 2 x 7" semi sealed lenses, dust covers and 2 x 55/100 Halogen globes. There are cheaper HID kits around on Ebay etc and from most reports, just as good as the more expensive brands but I got a good deal so went that way.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are legal issues with HID for on road use that need to be dealt with or ignored :-)

I put in those +40 H4 inserts - and the old Mav came with Hella spot and spread beam driving lights with an aftermarket wiring kit. The Hellas make a real difference.

I have been a long term user of Lightforce for shooting - mate has Roolights on his Tojo which seem quite impressive.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank guys might upgrade my wiring thanx for pointing out my oversight

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you stay with Halogen I'd upgrade the wiring even with stock globes as it even makes a difference to them.

90/130's will burn out the control stalk switch without relays and also potentially melt the earth pin on the headlight plugs so check the earths.

HID's are easily the best option but stick with the diffuser in the lense of the lamp. Yes, they are illegal but thats the kindest option for oncoming drivers. At this point it should be noted that 90 watt low beams are also illegal so you may as well go HID.

I found that the ultra white or blue "plus" light globes from Philips and Narva etc in standard wattage are equal or better than 90/130's but that was too my eyes so others may disagree.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

headlight bulbs

apology if i am making this thread. I am trying to put blue headlight 80 watt bulbs didn't work so i tried to put the originals back in that side and blew both blue headlight bulbs.Has anyone put higher wattage bulbs? and ran into any problems? any response. apology for this one really need your help. thanks!

-2008 Nissan Patrol - blue headlight bulbs
    -2007 Suburban 3LT - blue headlight bulbs
    -2007 Haulmark Enclosed Car hauler
    -2001 Pewter Z/28
    -2000 NBM Camaro

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maque View Post
    apology if i am making this thread. I am trying to put blue headlight 80 watt bulbs didn't work so i tried to put the originals back in that side and blew both blue headlight bulbs.Has anyone put higher wattage bulbs? and ran into any problems? any response. apology for this one really need your help. thanks!
    I'm assuming this is your 2008 Patrol you are talking about?
    There's something strange going on here. Are the original bulbs (that you blew both of) also blue?
    Did you clean the bulbs before you switched them the lights on? If you don't clean them carefully to remove the oil from your skin after touching the glass it can cause hot spots which will crack the glass and blow the bulb.

Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 15th June 2011 at 05:11 AM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after a few weeks of Humming and Ahhh-ing I really have to do something soon about these dull-as-dishwater lights. The low beams are fine for suburban traffic, but on the feeder road on Perth's southside, coming home at night with a car a kmor so in front, the low beams suck.
    Something has to be done. Are HIDs the way to go? Or should I get a H4 Convo kit (is so which one and where), upgrade the wiring and build a relay set? Help Im confus-a-fied!
    PK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just converted TUR7LE's headlights in his GQ from standard to 55w HID Kits and I have done my GU as well.. I will post some pics up tommorrow for you but the difference is incredible.. Made an absolute massive difference and as far as I'm concerned its the way to go, regardless of the fact they are technically illegal..

Option B as said above would be new light inserts and new good quality globes, then relay and run thicker wiring to lights.. Should make lights better at night..

Depends how bright you would like to go Haha
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulthekelly View Post
    Well after a few weeks of Humming and Ahhh-ing I really have to do something soon about these dull-as-dishwater lights. The low beams are fine for suburban traffic, but on the feeder road on Perth's southside, coming home at night with a car a kmor so in front, the low beams suck.
    Something has to be done. Are HIDs the way to go? Or should I get a H4 Convo kit (is so which one and where), upgrade the wiring and build a relay set? Help Im confus-a-fied!
    PK
    put H I D`s in mate changed the factory globes over to them and what a differance
    dont use the 55 watt the coppers are straight onto those
    i have 35 watt and i recon about 10 times the light
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast