Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my GQ pics - Kuhmos, storage, oil cooler, spare wheel, lockup switch

hi,

here's a few pics of things I've done to my GQ. Just had some Kuhmo Road Venture LT285/75/16 fitted, great price (compared to others) of $219. Quite chunky, deep tread, but can't hear them on the road. Will post a review after a few trips to work with them on.

So one of my Insa Turbo muddies is now a spare. Only just fits though and just able to open the small barn door! As these things are getting on for 60kg, I fixed a couple of bolts into the spare wheel carrier to lift the spare onto, before aligning it with the fixing studs.

In the back I picked up a large and 2 small galvanised boxes and bolted them in for storage when offroading and camping. Added a couple of extra tie down points where the 3rd seat used to bolt in. Also got my 110Ah sealed battery in there and airpump.

On the driver's foot rest, added a foot swtich for the torque convertor lockup.

Up the front, added a large 15x10" transmission oil cooler to help my ailing auto box as it appears to get noisy once it's very hot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1981 Nissan Patrol MQ SWB, 3.3TD, West Melbourne.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Niiiice...

I changed to the KL 78's about 10,000 K's ago now. Used to have Cooper STT's and BFG's before them and ProComps before them... it's easy to forget how crappy Muddies are on the Bitumen, noisy, poor handling, reduced braking, increased fuel useage etc.

At $220 a corner for the 4 Rib Kuhmo's (5 Rib AT's I don't rate at all) I am more than happy for what I do which is a LOT of touring. I think you will be very happy with them too if you don't do any mud buggin'.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    great pics boggey, like what you've done in the boot mate.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,790 Times in 8,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice Boggy, looking good mate!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not three bad mate looks good
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Niiiice...

I changed to the KL 78's about 10,000 K's ago now. Used to have Cooper STT's and BFG's before them and ProComps before them... it's easy to forget how crappy Muddies are on the Bitumen, noisy, poor handling, reduced braking, increased fuel useage etc.

At $220 a corner for the 4 Rib Kuhmo's (5 Rib AT's I don't rate at all) I am more than happy for what I do which is a LOT of touring. I think you will be very happy with them too if you don't do any mud buggin'.
    I was suprised how much less they cost than other brands. I was initially a bit worried that they wouldn't be LT rated and as they are only speed rating Q, this is only acceptable on the Patrol if the tyres are LT, but fortunately they are LT. It'll be interesting to see how they are on the road to work, as sometimes I take quite a winding slippery route.

I reckon they wouldn't be too bad for brief forays off road too, as they are quite chunky, but will always try to stick my muddies on for the serous stuff!
    Last edited by boggy2006; 15th March 2011 at 05:50 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clunk71 View Post
    great pics boggey, like what you've done in the boot mate.
    thanks, I didn't want to spend too much, so all in with boxes and brackets it came to about $130. The 2 smaller boxes are sat on top of the wheel arches, so still have space underneath them. They are supported on brackets and bolted to the rear box, which is bolted to the floor through the existing tie down fixing holes. The battery has a metal bracket and is bolted to the floor, the wooden plank was just an easy way to mount the compressor and charging solenoid, plus anthing else that needs to be scewed to it.

The 2nd battery is connect to the main with a 100A solenoid at each end and is switched on/off manually. I found that even though I only used 100A cable, when the main battery is quite low on juice, it's still possible to give it a decent boost from the second battery. I'll probably set up something more automatic in the future, but want to keep a manual overide in there too.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job mate does the job and satisfaction of diy

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking patrol there mate, can't wait for some more pics out in the bush lol
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice set up
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast