0 Thread(s)

Don't sell ya Bull Bar!!

MEDIA RELEASE
    The Hon Catherine King MP
    Parliamentary Secretary for Infrastructure and Transport
    24 February 2011
    CK006/2011

Pedestrian Safety and Bull Bars

The Parliamentary Secretary for Infrastructure and Transport, Catherine King, restated again that the Government will not be banning bull bars.

"Over recent weeks I have received strong feedback through the consultation process associated with the Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) proposing the adoption of an international standard on pedestrian safety," Ms King said.

"Following careful consideration of the views and concerns put by individuals and stakeholders, I have decided that the proposal is not suitable for Australian conditions and I have directed the Department to withdraw the Regulation Impact Statement," Ms King said.

"While the Government is committed to improving the safety of pedestrians, we also recognise that bull bars play a positive role in the safety of vehicle occupants.

"In no circumstances will the Government consider banning bull bars or contemplate any lessening of the protection they provide. We are committed to ensuring that people remain fully protected in animal strikes and other hazardous situations where bull bars play a key role," Ms King said.

Ms King has now asked Department to consult with interested parties on the options for improving pedestrian safety.
    Last edited by the ferret; 24th February 2011 at 07:10 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Clunk (24th February 2011), DX grunt (25th February 2011), Finly Owner (24th February 2011), growler2058 (25th February 2011), NissanGQ4.2 (24th February 2011), Sir Roofy (24th February 2011), wildgu6 (14th March 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That just bloomin well rocks, cheers for that Ferret

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fight's not over yet, that's just one small battle won. The anti-bullbar campaign will continue to be pushed by the likes of the pedastrian safety council so we will have to keep fighting back in big numbers as we did this time.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Woohooo, great news.
    Lets hope it stays this way for a while....somehow I have my doubts. Theres always one moron out there who thinks they know everything

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the Main street of our town there are accessways for pedestrians to cross the street, the local paper wrote; 'that these areas are not 'pedestrian crossings' so drivers are not required to give way to pedestrians'.

I choose to give way to the pedestrians, 1) I can physically see they have crossed the roadway and are safely on the otherside. 2) when I as a pedestrian, and I have to stop walking for a vehicle, it requires great effort to start walking again. i.e easier for driver to apply brake.

Geraldton has high percentage of 4wd's with Bullbars.

So I consider the newspaper irresponsible for promoting the notion that vehicles do not have to give way to pedestrians considering it is a 'Main' small town street with shopping areas both sides of the road.

Soccer mums seem to think that they can run someone down and then yell abuse at them for not giving way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollman View Post
    In the Main street of our town there are accessways for pedestrians to cross the street, the local paper wrote; 'that these areas are not 'pedestrian crossings' so drivers are not required to give way to pedestrians'.

I choose to give way to the pedestrians, 1) I can physically see they have crossed the roadway and are safely on the otherside. 2) when I as a pedestrian, and I have to stop walking for a vehicle, it requires great effort to start walking again. i.e easier for driver to apply brake.

Geraldton has high percentage of 4wd's with Bullbars.

So I consider the newspaper irresponsible for promoting the notion that vehicles do not have to give way to pedestrians considering it is a 'Main' small town street with shopping areas both sides of the road.

Soccer mums seem to think that they can run someone down and then yell abuse at them for not giving way.
    Penrith has same thing.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    Penrith has same thing.
    you may find that drivers are always required to give way to pedestrians. Just how that fits with litigation around drunks who stagger out of pubs and in front of cars is a bit of an issue - the answer I think with the drunks is that they have contributed to the injury they suffer by their own negligence.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about banning pedestrians using a phone for texting & ear plugs in from Ipods or phone calls while near road ways.

They might concentrate on traffic around them and wont be hit by a Hyundai or a B Double or whatever.

What ever happened to look right then left then right again before crossing a road at any point, ped crossing or not?

Macca

11. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

YNOT (25th February 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live down at the Bay in SA which is a hot spot in summer for tourists and locals and the council has had to put signs up telling pedestrians to give way to vehicles as they wander around oblivious to their surroundings and if vehicles have to stop on the main drag you end up with a tram up your ar2e! quite literally. Apart from that little whinge from me if a pedestrian gets hit by my HQ kingy or my GQ with a roo bar the end result is most likely to be quite similar