Thread: DIY advice

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY advice

G'day guys,

I am new to diesels and just chasing some advice on some DIY mods that i can to my 08 crd that will maybe improve longevity and performance? Any help would be great

Cheers Trav

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To increase performance I would be fitting a bigger exhaust (2 3/4" or 3") and a performance engine chip.

For reliabillity you need to stay on top of routine servicing using good quality lubricants and filters. For peace of mind I recommend fitting boost and exhaust gas temperature gauges to all turbo diesels, those 2 gauges can tell you a lot about what your engine is doing.
    You could also fit a crank case ventilation filter to stop oil mist going through your inlet system and fouling the mass airflow sensor.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust Tony, have a look here he is our tech advisor, and desn't have shares in any 4wd accessory shops as far as I know. LOL

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty much what YNOT said. Yours is still under warranty I assume so be careful with some Mods which Mr Nissan takes a dim view of...

Performance - Chip and Exhaust

Reliability/Longevity - EGT gauge, Scangauge are 'Must haves' IMHO, then a catch can or keep an eye on the MAF sensor is a good idea. Stick with genuine filters etc unless you know what you are doing and watch out for contaminated/dodgy fuel.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah still got about a years warranty to go so maybe i will wait until then to do a chip? probly do an exhaust and some guages. What is the scangauge by the way?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would changing the exhaust and adding gauges put warranty in jeapody? I understand that the exhaust and gauges wouldn't be covered by Nissan warranty

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patroltrav View Post
    What is the scangauge by the way?
    The BEST $200 you'll spend on your CRD www.scangauge.com.au/

They plug straight into the OBD port under the sterring wheel and sit quite nicely on top of the column in front of the Odometer the only other gauge you have to buy is an E.G.T.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

szaf (13th February 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by szaf View Post
    Would changing the exhaust and adding gauges put warranty in jeapody? I understand that the exhaust and gauges wouldn't be covered by Nissan warranty
    The prev owner of mine had a hassle when the Turbo Flange Studs broke. Nissan blamed the aftermarket exhaust. I subsequently cracked the exhaust at the flange and the dump pipe didn't line up to my satisfaction so I got it bent slightly and a further support added at the Gearbox so Nissan were probably right I spose.

Apart from something like that you shouldn't have any hassle I'd imagine. The best way would be to ask your Nissan Dealer and then get the exhaust done and then get them to retune the VNT adjustments etc to suit. That way it's all in writing I spose.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

szaf (13th February 2011)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a CRD engine it shouldn't need any VNT adjustments with the new exhaust. (I'm not saying it won't, just that it shouldn't!)

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    Being a CRD engine it shouldn't need any VNT adjustments with the new exhaust. (I'm not saying it won't, just that it shouldn't!)

Tony
    Hiya Mr T... Hmmm Mr T, if that sticks don't blame me...

Yeah I agree, I didn't explain it well at all did I...

In another way what I meant is get Nissan to do a tune and diagnostics after the exhaust mods. That then means you have something in writing that the engine is within specs and if something goes wrong you can say "But, Hey, you did the inspection and tuning and it's within specs".

Dunno if it would be worth it but about the only idea I can think of if anyone is nervous about warranty and Nissan baling out from say an Intercooler failure by using the Exhaust mods changing boost presures as an excuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast