Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU 7 Dash Lights

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU 7 Dash Lights

I rather like blue dash lights. When I had my VZ SS Ute I paid to get all the crappy standard colour SMD leds replaced with blue ones, except the indicator, warning and high beam which were changed to orange, red and white SMD leds. These were not globes and had to be soldered on the PCB of the instrument cluster. I notice on eBay there is a blue conversion kit for series 1 to 3 patrols. These are replacement globes with blue leds. Can someone tell me if Nissan changed the dash makeup from what it is in Series 1 to 3 to what I have in my Series 7? What I mean have they gone from replaceable globes to permanent leds soldered on to the instrument cluster, or are they using some other method? I'm not concerned whether the layout has changed, I'm just interested to know if the instrument cluster lights are replaceable and if they are different to the series 1 to 3, what fitting they use.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Check Ebay you can get the colour of choice for a few $$$ led style is T10.
    Don't know if later models had set leds
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Clubby and TD,

Did you end up changing the dash light colour? I've got a GU 7 as well and want to change the globes from yellow to white. Is it a hard job to do?
    2012 Nissan Patrol ST, 3.0 CRD, 5 speed manual, ARB Bullbar, Stedi Type X Pros, Safari Snorkel, 2 inch lift, 16" Steel rims on Hankook DynaPro MTs, Raslarr Rear bar, Warn 9.5 XP Winch and other work

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordo View Post
    Hi Clubby and TD,

Did you end up changing the dash light colour? I've got a GU 7 as well and want to change the globes from yellow to white. Is it a hard job to do?
    No mate, haven't looked at it yet......

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the colours here, plenty of them.. It's a real easy job.. Dash facia out.. Then dash.. 6 screws total. Drop the wheel then undo the 2 screws under the top of the facia. Remove by stretching the top over the wheel. Then undo the 4 screws in the dash itself. Pull the dash forward and remove the little end caps. Place LEDs in, there should be 5. Highbeam, (mines blue but just a little too bright) then the 2 indicators, mine have green LEDs then whatever colour you want in the other 2.ive used blue there and it's nice and gentle on the eyes..

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave_GU_ACT For This Useful Post:

clubbyr8 (8th June 2014), threedogs (10th June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys , did this to my GU year ago love it , better than plain white regards Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to altech For This Useful Post:

clubbyr8 (10th June 2014), rusty_nail (10th June 2014), threedogs (10th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great effect I'm waiting on Mudski to be free some time soon as besides changing the colour [red]
    I have white face dials to be fitted,
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy's just a quick note, blue is the not the best colour for dash illumination. It's actually the worst to see at night, your eyes are the most sensitive to the colour blue and the least sensitive to red. It has to do with the colour spectrum.

Look at this image, which colour "burns" your eyes? Red or blue?

Basically any colour which are close to red in the spectrum are easier to see at night e.g. orange which is why Nissan (and BMW) used orange colour for the dash. That's why they use orange colour street lighting on freeways as it's calming on the eyes (at night) compared to cool white lighting.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flex For This Useful Post:

clubbyr8 (12th July 2014), Dave_H (12th July 2014), Parksy (13th July 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Guy's just a quick note, blue is the not the best colour for dash illumination. It's actually the worst to see at night, your eyes are the most sensitive to the colour blue and the least sensitive to red. It has to do with the colour spectrum.

Look at this image, which colour "burns" your eyes? Red or blue?

Basically any colour which are close to red in the spectrum are easier to see at night e.g. orange which is why Nissan (and BMW) used orange colour for the dash. That's why they use orange colour street lighting on freeways as it's calming on the eyes (at night) compared to cool white lighting.

Interesting Flex. Makes you wonder why Holden used green then. I changed my VZ SS Ute to blue and never had an issue, it was easier on my eyes than the green. I find with my patrol the orange is woeful, maybe it's just not bright enough even with the dimmer turned fully up. At least with the patrol it's easy to change the globes and the leds are cheap as, so I'll just experiment with it to until I get it the way I want it. The VZ SS Ute had SMD leds that had to be taken out and the blue ones resoldered in place it was a bloody pain.....
    GROOVY GUVII

2" Toughdog Lift, Ctek D250S, 152AH AGM Battery, Homemade Battery Box, Duel Rear Cameras, GME TX3510W UHF, Alloy Roof Rack, Kings 2.5m Awning, Titan Drawers.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holden used green LEDs because they where the cheapest (along with red) when they made the switch to LED from light globes. Now white LEDs are available for almost the same price as the green.

I do agree with the brightness of the orange in the patrol, it's pretty bad.

Question to the members, what type of LEDs do the series 6 - 8 use in the cluster to illuminate the speedo/tacho dial numbers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast