OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Blown motor dunno what is best to do.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blown motor dunno what is best to do.

Hi all,

I have a 2003 GU Patrol 4cyl auto. The motor blew at 105,000klms and my local Nissan dealer rebuilt it after Nissan sent some parts. 70,000klms later and the second motor has done the same thing. I'm really disappointed in these engines, I honestly expected to get 300,000klms from a diesel without to many hiccups, to have an engine blow twice in 175,000klms is simply not right. So, what do I do?

I have heard of people converting a V8 motor but I have no idea what that will cost.
    I don't know what it's worth to sell.
    Do I rebuild it again? And what's that going to cost?
    Apart from the motor's around this era, the car is great and I'd like to keep it but at the moment it only goes downhill :-)
    I'm sure there a few others who have come across the same issue and I'd like to know what you did.

Cheers
    Q

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well that sux mate, sorry dude.

Please head over and post an introduction thread please bud, we ask all new members to say Gday.

You have a couple of options, none of them cheap. Are you sure it's Blown? Is Nissan providing any warranty on a 70k old engine?

If you stick with a 3.0lt then chase a newer Common Rail engine for the win. Find one out of a wreck. Not sure about wiring and stuff to do that though, someone here will know though.

Alternatively, a TD42T into your car would be pretty easy too and No Engineerng I don't think as the model came with this engine.

Thirdly, an LS2 which would be sweet. All will cost you a bit of coin.

Good luck mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, failed a compression test in 3 cylinders, bore scope shows at least 2 pistons damaged.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S. Nissan didn't want to know anything about it when I rang, they just said the issue had been archived.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bugga mate but very common thing to happen.
    Have you done the Nads system previously?? If not have a search here and a good read.

Mr is sorta correct with the td42 conversion, it will need light engineering as engine mounts need changing, and any chassis mod needs certs.

I personally would either do a 4.2 conversion or bolt in a 07+ 3ltr engine.

A 4.2 will give you solid reliability for easily 300,000, mine has just rolled half a million..

But Mr was correct that any conversion will be a lot more expensive than a rebuild.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Alternatively, a TD42T into your car would be pretty easy too and No Engineerng I don't think as the model came with this engine.

Thirdly, an LS2 which would be sweet. All will cost you a bit of coin.

Good luck mate[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure changing to a 4.2 TD would require engineering as any engine change would.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 2004 3litre that blew up as well. Im actually in the next month putting a GQ 4.2TD motor in as the GU 4.2 are way too expensive for my budget. I know the engine mounts need to be changed but I have been told allow 10gs for the full conversion. Something to think about

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Engineering will all depend on different states, I converted my rd2.8 wagon to TD42t and it didn't need engineering (even with moving engine mounts) to get it registered as you can't even tell which mount was moved, and the vehicle came from the factory with that model as an option. This was in Vic.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An RB25 from a Skyline would be a drop in convert!