Thread: Recover a Tractor with my GU?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recover a Tractor with my GU?

So my old man has gone and got his FIAT tractor bogged. I haven't seen how badly bogged it is yet, but I am heading out there tonight to try and get him out.

The land out there is pretty much all big steep grassy hills.

Best method to recover him?

I have rated recovery points front and back, and a brand new snatch strap (as well as 35" MTZ's).
    First time recovering anything, should I air down the tyres a bit due to the (most likely) wet grass?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Got a winch ??

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Motorculture app
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let some air out to get more traction, probably below 20 psi.
    Dig the tractor out as much as you can before trying.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Got a winch ??

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Motorculture app
    Negative. It's on the to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    Let some air out to get more traction, probably below 20 psi.
    Dig the tractor out as much as you can before trying.
    Thanks, I was going to let them down to about 20psi. I've got an air compressor to pump them back up again. Hopefully he's got a shovel or three out there (new house block, and the shed isn't up yet).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pick up a shovel on the way as well as a snig chain sorry i dont trust those straps

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get rid of excess dirt with a shovel, dig out what you can, gentle tugs to start.

How big is the tractor? is it heavier than your Patrol do you think or like a little fergy?

Let the air out as described to about 18 to 20psi.

Let the air out of the TRACTOR TYRES TOO and see if he can drive out once the shovel work is done. If the tractor is small then letting them down to 10psi or even 5psi, moving the dirt then gently driving out might get him out then reinflate with your pump.

after all of this is when you get the snatch out and connect to your car. If you can help him drive out without your car would be ideal mate.

pics mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Get rid of excess dirt with a shovel, dig out what you can, gentle tugs to start.

How big is the tractor? is it heavier than your Patrol do you think or like a little fergy?

Let the air out as described to about 18 to 20psi.

Let the air out of the TRACTOR TYRES TOO and see if he can drive out once the shovel work is done. If the tractor is small then letting them down to 10psi or even 5psi, moving the dirt then gently driving out might get him out then reinflate with your pump.

after all of this is when you get the snatch out and connect to your car. If you can help him drive out without your car would be ideal mate.

pics mate.

I haven't seen the new tractor, but I reckon they'd weigh about the same. It's a FIAT, probably similar to this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neet_wagon View Post
    I haven't seen the new tractor, but I reckon they'd weigh about the same. It's a FIAT, probably similar to this:
    the one in the pic is 4wd. if its the same then certainly all tyres down to 10psi, gentle on the throttle, if not enough then drop to 5psi and gentle on the throttle. Then hook on the snatch, gentle on the throttle and tug away.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

threedogs (18th July 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got our bus & trailer (approx total weight 6.5 tonnes) bogged in red mud once. Not real deep, but no traction, mud about halfway to rims. A bloke in a Landcruiser pulled us out easily. No snatching, just a steady consistent pull with him using low first. He was on dry ground though.

The problem you might have on steep grass is getting traction to pull him out. If the grass is wet you would be well advised to postpone until the grass is dry. Time of day can make a huge difference even if it hasn't rained. Later in the day is better than first thing in the morning.

I live on a property with steep grass covered hills & have, on a number of occasions, advised others with 4wds, varying in size up to large heavy trucks, that slopes that look quite manageable are not. (I have a microwave rpeter tower on the property which occasionally needs maintenance). Too often drivers have been a bit gung ho & argued the toss with me, & I stupidly agreed to let them have a go. Result chewed up & damaged paddock & the predicted lack of success. These days I just refuse to let them try , suggesting they come back when things have dried out a bit. Pisses them off a bit, but they are not the ones who have to deal with the ruts.

The exception is the lightweight 4wd's like suzukis & subarus. They seem to just float over stuff that leaves heavier vehicles floundering.

IMO it may be better to leave the tractor where it is until you have the bet chance of success.

Cuppa
    Last edited by Cuppa; 18th July 2013 at 12:47 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Be wary of the fact that tractors flip real easy. what ever way you choose go slow ,go steady and keep every one clear.
    DO NOT USE TOWBALL, I know you wont but just a reminder
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

13. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (18th July 2013)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast