Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tent guide

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/tent-guide/Default.aspx

Might help you decide if you are about to make a purchase.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of variable.

A rapid set up is a godsend if moving every day and also being fairly fast to erect comes in handy if its raining.

The size is criticle to your needs BUT also have a look at the packed size after YOU have packed it away, the factories use machine to pack them in some of those bags I am sure.
    A tent is harder to pack tight when its cold, so the bag has to be roomy for all the gear.

We have a Black Wolf Turbo 240, great for two and reasonably easy to handle. We would buy the same again, but have a roof topper now and that is another thing again.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Macca....Just like trying to get a sleeping bag back in its bag!

1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

macca (10th May 2013), threedogs (11th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friendly word of warning, with regard to the Coleman rapid pitch/instant tent varieties, now these are really brilliant tents, but, you can NOT get any spare parts, so once out of warranty, you break a small part, you have to buy a whole new tent !

Im not sure how it is even legal to sell suff like this in AU, and have zero parts available ?

So before you buy a tent from anywhere, please get a price on a tent part that looks breakable, i say get a price, because the sales dude will most likley not realise if you "cant" get parts, and will assume, just like the general puplic, that of course you can get parts !
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    A friendly word of warning, with regard to the Coleman rapid pitch/instant tent varieties, now these are really brilliant tents, but, you can NOT get any spare parts, so once out of warranty, you break a small part, you have to buy a whole new tent !

Im not sure how it is even legal to sell suff like this in AU, and have zero parts available ?

So before you buy a tent from anywhere, please get a price on a tent part that looks breakable, i say get a price, because the sales dude will most likley not realise if you "cant" get parts, and will assume, just like the general puplic, that of course you can get parts !
    Note dot point 7
    http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/gu...es-refunds.htm

Try defining:

will have spare parts and repairs available for a reasonable amount of time after you buy them
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but, how long is "a reasonable amount of time" ?

Look, in all honesty, i got my tent second hand (but unused) so i dont have a leg to stand on with regard to any shop, but the tents the stores are selling now, have the exact same parts, and i was amazed to find out (as was the sales guy at rays) that NO purchasable spares are obtainable for the coleman instant tents they sell.

Now if they break while under warranty, coleman AU will fix it no problem, but whoever is the AU supplier is (or whoever the sales guy rang) apperently, is just pulling bits off a complete tent to forefill warranty claims, not fitting actual spares as parts.

So the bottom line for consumers, is that once out of warrany (usually 12 months) ,you break one little plastic part, and then your $500 tent is now useless, hardly seems logical ?

The thing is, i think the Coleman instant tent is just brilliant, and i really love it, and don't want another tent, but the fact is i cant use mine because of a $2.00 bit of plastic, so now i would never suggest "anyone" buy a Coleman tent

Feel free to go into a store that sells the Coleman Instant up tents, ask how long the warranty is on a tent, then ask for a price on a knuckle that is joins the roof pole to the main centre top hub (this is the part i broke)
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a niche in the market for you. Metal knuckle replacement parts. It starts when you make one for yourself, and snowballs when you find others have the same problem.

I've made a slightly different work around for a product with a Z and a 11 in the name.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P4trol View Post
    There's a niche in the market for you. Metal knuckle replacement parts. It starts when you make one for yourself, and snowballs when you find others have the same problem.

I've made a slightly different work around for a product with a Z and a 11 in the name.

Its OK, in light of the other threads going around , i think you will be pretty safe over here saying "Tigerz", are you in a position to explain your work around ? or at least tell us the product/item it works with ?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As I just posted on Billy tent thread , my mate just brought a 4 peg one pole Pyramid tent, dont know where it was made.
    I checked all stitching and Zips YKK the best and for $199 I could not fault it, Is it money for value, hell yeah .
    .Treated well can see it lasting 10 yrs plus, Would I buy one again hell yeah ,nothing worse than getting in and out of your
    strides laying down, plus plenty of ventilation
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally have given up on dome tents. I use a 11"x11" canvas wall tent it can be set up by 2 people in 15 minutes has full standing head room. Cost about $1000 but occasionally you will get them I special a few hundred cheaper.

http://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/11x11-tunnel-tent

Last trip I went on a mater had a black wolf turbo something . About 3mx3m and I had my canvas tent up before he had the flash turbo tent up
    Last edited by Matt195583; 11th May 2013 at 02:45 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt195583 For This Useful Post:

Swazi (17th September 2013), threedogs (11th May 2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast